View Single Post
Old 28 April 2013, 05:57 AM   #30
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedly1 View Post
I never really understand the rap culture term 'haters ' until I see a thread like this.

I don't get thimble collectors , but then I don't need to , I just need to know its something that gives pleasure to those who do get it , and I wish them every happiness in it.

For all of you that are negative on the subject , please just take a minute to realise for each of those $10k watches you own , $100 is the true value of the watch .. $9900 is your perceived value of the branding , heritage .. Perception of that bit of metal that you have bought into and that brings you happiness ... Once you are honest enough to accept that principal you will realise its all relative and you should get Comex and the people who enjoy them or mils or pn , or big Patek or anything else ...

For those of you who think we are mugs ... What on earth do you think the Seiko collectors think of you ?
Chill dude! People just expressing their views here. I don't think anyone is 'hating' - I'm certainly not, which is why I said each to their own. You make a valid point re the 'actual' vs 'perceived' value, and that applies to anything, from a can of soup to a pair of Levi's, or a diamond (lump of old carbon, cut to look pretty) I guess for me it's just about drawing a line, and I know the old watches (or even new ones) I've bought are not really 'worth' the current market value in inherent or intrinsic terms. Also, applying your rationale/formula, then a steel watch actually worth $100, but priced to sell at $100,000 comes with a $99,900 COMEX logo! That really is investing in a brand and heritage
Vincent65 is offline   Reply With Quote