View Single Post
Old 22 January 2017, 07:24 AM   #5
Paul
"TRF" Member

I've had the same issue twice ....

I've had this happen twice in twenty years of playing around with vintage watches. And just last week, the topic of a loose hand on a freshly serviced watch popped up when I was talking with a local independent watchmaker.

The watchmaker had recently been asked to secure a loose minute hand on a late model Patek Philippe that had just been returned from a factory service. It happens. The client didn't want to see his watch disappear overseas for another few weeks and the independent watchmaker turned the job over competently on the same day.

Thinking back to my high school metalwork classes ... it might be called 'broaching' when tiny adjustments are made to a mounting hoop, although another term may be applied when the technician is in fact reducing (closing up) a slogged out mounting hoop.

Right or wrong, the 50 year veteran of the watchmaking craft told me that he understands that RSC's now routinely fit replacement hands whenever they service a modern Rolex. His words more or less " .... Modern watch hands are made to go on once and stay on ..... they don't make 'em like they used to "
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote