View Single Post
Old 18 June 2008, 08:54 PM   #16
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
The date of my SD flips over typically 2-3 minutes past midnight.

As stated, it's quite normal. Imho, however, Rolex makes a "mistake" (sorry to say it!) by making sure that the date changes EXACTLY at midnight, but ONLY when you advance the hands MANUALLY via the winding crown! And since there seeems to be a DELAY of the date shift when the hands are moving the normal way (NOT manually turned forwards!), the date would change about 3 minutes past.

If Rolex adjusted the date mechanism to change at 3 minutes BEFORE midnight when you advance the hands MANUALLY, the date would shift pretty much spot on when the hands are moving the normal way. I had one of my previous Rolex watches adjusted this way (to have the date shift at 3 minutes BEFORE 12 when you advance the hands MANUALLY, and it worked great: The date shifted 10 seconds past midnight when the watch was going the normal way.

But I advice you to NOT have it fixed, since this is actually one of the more "complicated operations", and as long as the date changes within minus 1 to plus 5 minutes, there is absolutely NO reason to have it fixed. Better wait and have it corrected when the Rolex needs service altogether after about 5 years after purchase (or 5 years after its LAST service).

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote