Thread: Very Dark Water
View Single Post
Old 24 April 2024, 02:22 AM   #6
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
The main problem lies in the fact that corporate CEOs will never go to jail for their crimes, the company will only be fined, some rather insignificant amount (in the grand scheme of things) which is no deterrent.

I remember back awhile when GM pickup gas tanks were exploding on side impacts. They didn't fix it (recall it) and install a rubber bladder, was because the lawsuits were cheaper to settle on the family lawsuits for people that got burned alive, than it was to fix the problem.

People may not know this but the medical and medical device companies test their products in animal labs, dog labs, then move their testing to poor people in 3rd world countries and then in the US before the product is approved.
To your first point, the corporate veil can be penetrated and corporate officers held personally accountable for serious misconduct. The lawyers can weigh in on what constitutes “serious”, but it is fairly common in environmental enforcement actions in my experience.

I wouldn’t expect GM to put resealable fuel tank technology in a pickup truck. Maybe relocate/redesign the tank. And your assertion that companies are experimenting on people outside the norms of traditional medical research practices is pretty inflammatory without an authoritative citation.

Corporations are not inherently evil, as you imply. They are susceptible to market influences, activists shareholders, and group think. But it is not a custom and practice at most corporations to intentionally incur risk on itself or its customers.
Maleg is offline   Reply With Quote