View Single Post
Old 22 February 2010, 12:38 AM   #17
Rscmaine
"TRF" Member

Watch: me pull a rabbit..
"Best" is an impossible criteria...

Best what?

Accuracy? Durability? Beauty? Complication? Longevity?

The "best" chrono movement I ever had was in an Omega SMP 2225.80 (cal 1164 - which is a modified V7750)- it was dead flat accurate for 6 months + - 0 (and kept that same variance when I ran the chrono for 2 weeks straight just to screw with it).

"best" Rolex movement I've ever had was a 30 year old 1570 in a TT 1601 - same accuracy.

My 3135 16613 is a solid +1 every 10 days or so - and has the benefit of being so well designed for service, durability, and longevity as to be the stuff of legend.

Do any of these compare to the Patek cal 89 with 33 complications and 1728 parts? Nope.

Is the Patek better? Not to me. (I would have to spend more for one service than we spent for our house)

But for a $6,000,000 watch it has a pretty cool movement. I can understand how important it is to have your watch know what day Easter falls on. And those pesky Leap Years...I missed the last one, because my watch didn't self correct - and wrote the wrong date on all my checks for 3 years. Don't even get me started on missing the turn of the last 2 decades.

If only my watch had alerted me....

Best? Impossible to define.