View Single Post
Old 9 November 2013, 06:55 AM   #241
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcamber View Post

My question is... I don't want to break the bank and therefore I'm looking at any watches that have the ceramic bezel which I think start as far back as 2008. What I don't know however is if there were there any modifications to the GMT II between 2008 to date that would make you change your decision as to how old or new the watch you're about to buy would have to be? will I be missing out on features, etc if I go with a 2008 vs. a 2013?

Also, I see you guys talk about C, LV, BLNXXX, what are all the variations of these two models since the ceramic Bezel has been out? or is there a link I can read those? I've already searched without much luck BTW...

thanks!
As for changes since introduction of the ceramic, not much that would make me want a newer one. In fact, the only change I can think of off the top of my head is that it has been reported that some recently purchased GMTs have had blue lume rather than green. Someone will add to this if I missed some other changes.

As for the various initials, the "C" simply refers to the ceramic bezel rather than the previous generation aluminum ones - as in GMT2C or SubC. This is only us fans throwing the "C" in, Rolex does not include this in official model numbers. As far as Rolex goes, the distinction is that the previous gen Subs and GMTs had 5 digit model numbers and the current ceramics have six digits.

The LV is part of the official Rolex model number for the Sub and refers to the Sub with the green bezel and dial i.e. the 116610LV. The 116710BLNR refers to the GMT with the Black/blue two tone bezel. The other main differences with the BLNR are different colored font on the dial and a blue 24 hour hand rather than the green hand. The BLNR just came out this year so you probably won't find a used one for significantly less money than MSRP yet.