View Single Post
Old 8 May 2024, 06:20 AM   #27222
TimeLord2
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sampix View Post
I had an uncle who was a Naval aviator driving F-8s during the Vietnam War and was lost over the Gulf of Tonkin (mechanical) in 1971. Our family received his effects and as a young boy I was fascinated by them (and made good use of the .22 rifle for squirrel and rabbit hunting). My dad gave me his Rolex watch, which I thought was cool as hell (especially looking at the glowing numbers when I would turn out the lights), but it was too big and required winding. I was much more interested in getting one of the new bad ass Timex digital watches.

Fast forward 45 years and when I was home last Christmas, I found the last couple boxes of my childhood "stuff" and in it was the Rolex. Being older and a little bit smarter, I knew I had something of value. This week, I had a photographer covering the taping of Antiques Roadshow, and he was allowed to bring two items for appraisal. I was going to send my Rolex with him, and decided to do some research myself beforehand.

Turns out it is an early GMT-Master, but it couldn't be one of the rare models with the Bakelite bezel, could it? I loved the history of the watch, but I have zero knowledge about fine watches so I had no expectations of it being special to the Rolex community.

Yesterday, the AR appraiser, and the other expert he called over, confirmed that it is indeed and early GMT-Master with the original bezel. They were also impressed with the case as it had never been polished (who knew?). Now knowing what I have, I figured I better hook up with a Rolex community for some advice if I need some. So here I am, and here are a couple of quick photos.
My goodness! Take some better pics, close up of the dial, back of watch plus the engravings between the lugs, just the first 3 or 4 of the serial number and post them in the Vintage forum on this site. Bracelet definitely aftermarket. Would love to see those original chamfers too! You should get a lot of responses. Would like to see better pics of that myself. What a great story and a great re-find!
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote