View Single Post
Old 21 September 2009, 05:21 AM   #28
Cheapside Genie
"TRF" Member

Enjoying reading all this. My brother has a Rolex SD 1665 (plastic convex) & I've always liked this watch, esp. since I grew up watching Live and Let Die and Roger Moore's MI6 Rolex cutting some ropes, albeit a Submariner. I was walking down Bond St in London with my sister last week and popped into the Rolex dealer to see how much her Rolex would cost now.

In passing I asked if they had any Sea Dwellers, but I knew it was unlikely as the old one had been discontinued. As it turned out they had received the last 2 from their head office on the Thursday, one sold Friday and the last one was there. They also had a Deep Sea so I could compare. The Deep Sea it huge. I like big watches but this is too much and almost seems too big for the bracelet, like the watch was bullying the bracelet and stealing it's food. Anyway, I went for a wander to think about it down the nearby Burlington arcade where there are several antique Rolex dealers. They had a few old sea dwellers and even a double red SD which was on sale for £18k. They looked so good even at 20 years old so I decided it was the last chance to have a new SD before they replaced it with the Megaladon so I went back and bought it. It's a V series, I think the last one produced and must be one of the last new ones available in the UK.

It's just sitting in the box at the minute with all the plastic still on it partly because they have to send me extra links as I have a big wrist and partly because I am scared to ruin it by wearing it.
Cheapside Genie is offline   Reply With Quote