View Single Post
Old 4 December 2011, 08:35 AM   #15
Nakurate
"TRF" Member

I fear it is the genuine article.
A fake with a decent quartz movement would still be operational.

As my AD told me concerning accuracy, a Rolex or any other mechanical watch for that matter will never be able to achieve the accuracy of the cheapest quartz movement.
Don't bother trying. In this case, it is merely a piece of Stainless Steel jewellery, albeit a rather expensive one.
That sentiment did not spur me on to send it back to RWC for a few months absence, right after purchase, even though it was wildly innaccurate right out of the box.

Even now while it is not ticking, it isn't all that far off in accuracy.
So much for quality control.

Without any way of knowing that the seals are in good order, Rolex engineering should have devised by now, a fail-safe device, shutting down the movement when seal integrity is compromised.
Keeping the watch under a slighly higher atmospheric pressure and with the help of a simple pressure switch locking the balance wheel when it falls back to 1 atmosphere should suffice.
A reset switch could be discretely added for those who wish to keep telling time knowing their seals are shot.
Might even make them more money in service as well.

Here are a few photos of my "Beauty" with some of my "improvements".
The Hat pin and stylish bend are almost not noticeable in the photo.
The dial pitting & lume defect holes are somewhat more visible.
The case is showing a bit of wear where the bracelet pins attach with oversize holes. Don't know what can be done there. Anyone try filling up theirs with weld and re-drilling?
The scratches down to the metal on the bezel look like an impossible challenge to restore as well. Lume is dead anyway.

With such a comprehensive repair required, is it still worth reparing?
After all, the jewellery part still works.
Nakurate is offline   Reply With Quote