View Single Post
Old 16 September 2009, 08:53 PM   #4
jmsrolls
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrzman View Post
Omega never sold a replacement serial numbered bridge for repair, if needed they would supply a complete movement but this was done VERY RARELY.
Farel
As they say, "Never say never."

In two instances over the years I have had occasion to replace escape wheel bridges in cal. 186# movements. Both replacements came complete with movement numbers. Perhaps these were isolated incidents but I have had other watchmakers report replacement bridges with numbers. I have yet to confirm a replacement bridge without a number.

As for the cal. 321 movement, Omega may have assembled movements from repair parts through 1969 but it is my understanding that all assembled movements provided to Omega by Lemania ceased in 1960.

As for John Diethelm, it was this email which erroneously reported the model of the Speedmasters worn on the moon.

Quote:
Dave S. posted, on 1 August, 2000 in the (TZ) Omega Forum, an email from Omega PR (John R. Diethelm) regarding the ST 145.0120-67 model:

Dear Sir,

further to your above inquiry, we have compared your information and have therefore the following available details:

* mvt N° xxxxxxxxxx * manual winding chronograph movement of Calibre 321 - 17 jewels * case reference: ST 145.012 - stainless steel * manufactured and delivered to our Agents in Danemark on October 25, 1968.

It is confirmed that the OMEGA Speedmaster chronographs that went to the " Moon " were of identical reference as your above watch.

best regards

John R. Diethelm / Public relations
Mr. Diethelm was not in a position to have actual knowledge of the watches issued to the Apollo astronauts by NASA and worn on the moon. As confirmed by NASA records, most wore the 105.012 and perhaps a 105.003. It is doubtful that a 145.012 made it to the surface although we know that Collins wore one on the Apollo XI command module.

Ah, the history and mystery of the Omega Speedmaster Professional.

Fr. John†
jmsrolls is offline   Reply With Quote