View Single Post
Old 24 October 2010, 03:56 AM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTG1963 View Post
What is the best way to tell if a Rolex is real?
I came across an Air-King-Date that has recently gone through some servicing. Is there anything that I should seriously be looking at to make sure that this is a real Rolex?
Well not many fake Airking dates around today but you could get the back off and check the movement. And today many Airking models are now becoming collectible especially the Airking dates especially the red date roulette type.Now before WW11 Rolex was always popular with the armed forces in the UK,now old Hans being a good business man saw there was a market for a slightly bigger watch.Now watches at these times were quite small 30m and under were the average size.Now Rolex started producing 33m models under the names of Air Lion,Air Tiger,Air Giant and the Air king.They all used a 15 jewel manual wind movement,then came in S.steel even a TT plus all gold but mainly then 9ct.And were in production from the mid 1940s to early 1950s when they were all dropped,except for the Airking.Now over the next few years the Air king gained a auto movement and now the same size as OP,and some of the most sort after Airkings now are models like the 1960s 5504 with the honeycombed dial that type of dial was a Rolex first.Now the first Airking date arrived on the scene late 1960s Ref 5700 and were only sold in the then Commonwealth countries like Canada and the UK.Now they made a 5700n Explorer Date but that was only sold in the USA.Later on in the 1970s the 5701 Airking dates had the cal.1525/35 movements,and they made a TT version of the 5701 quite rare not many of those around, but again made for the Canadian only market but the Airking date faded out of production in the 1980s. IMO a shame the Airking has quite a lot of history, and IMHO now a very underrated watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger0770 View Post
i didn't know the air-king has a date...
Quote:
Originally Posted by snog View Post
there you go then-sorted,it's a fake it has a date
Might I suggest you both try and research a bit of the history on Rolex watches.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote