View Single Post
Old 20 January 2021, 06:03 PM   #189
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post
I’m still mixed. The aesthetic changes to the bezel and dial are minor, and individually nice but not particularly “stand out” on their own. That’s a good thing, to keep things true to speedmaster aesthetics. However, In some photos where the stepped dial really shines and stands out, I actually also find it to concurrently look more “cluttered” than the old with slightly reduced legibility. Not sure if that’s true in real life or not.

The bracelet is the most obvious change. I like that it’s flush with the lugs, and on its own I do like the pattern/style more and more. I’m indifferent to the taper. But again I do find it just a bit “busy”, and somehow the with the changes to the dial the whole watch does seem more busy overall.

I don’t like the new clasp. Much prefer the Apollo 11/Ed White style there. And still not adjustable.

The movement is obviously superior on the new one. But, I also like that the old has basically been a workhorse for 60 years with little change.

Also a small detail, but I prefer the case back text of the old.

All said snd done, I’m happy with my 1861 purchase, and of course there’s no wrong choice. Both excellent watches, but feel like the value is there in the 1861.

I bought an 1861 Sapphire Sandwich on a leather strap early last year. No regrets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote