View Single Post
Old 29 May 2011, 12:08 AM   #18
Rolex2

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam78 View Post
Look, it's one thing to have a refinished dial, but it should at least be done correctly. The one the OP showed was terrible. It's a manual wind Rolex with "Oyster Perpetual" on the dial, the coronet is off-center, and the minute track extends over the numerals. The hands are also incorrect (most likely). One shouldn't forget, however, that any refinished dial has a significant impact on the value of a Rolex (moreso than most other brands), even if a perfect replica of the original.
I think my dial is refinished, though the previous owner says no. He bought it at an estate auction, and maybe it was refinished before then. You can see at the bottom (below the "30") with a loupe that the black border has been redrawn--maybe brushing out the "swiss made" below it. Also, a plain Oyster signature is uncommon. Usually Oyster or Rolex Oyster, with another name below it. The latter may have been brushed out.

There were a lot of different Oysters made in this time period--different dials, etc. And it's hard to sort them out.
I suspect many of the parts were interchangeable.

Oyster4.jpg
Rolex2 is offline   Reply With Quote