View Single Post
Old 12 November 2010, 01:48 AM   #26
Sunshine
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400GV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colnago View Post
Yes it's Brian....your sacked!!!

Just kidding.....I would imagine that has something to do with work hardening caused by the cyclic loading, rather than "necking down" of the material..
Funny Brian!!!

Well that’s what started the pissing match. It was about 60/40 on the hardness over fatigue issue, 60 to part failure and 40 to hardness. Vickers Rockwell found a 20% to 30% increase in hardness so that was proven however the lab was standing on eliminating vibration. If they could sale this theory it would bring design changes, leading to new contracts ext.ext. The issue of parts becoming hard due to cyclic load only got a few contracts to make the parts out of a more suitable material. In all, a bigger picture was to sale a more expensive warranty to the customers, which in this case is power utilities. So the utilities way of thinking is “we have always used this product so let’s stay with it” and now you and I are in the picture. “Oh look honey the power bill went up $10". When I left Seimens we were still changing out parts and the issue really went nowhere.