View Single Post
Old 13 September 2012, 06:23 PM   #32
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchingTime View Post
You nailed it! Everybody and their brother has a Sub, and a ceramic bezel is just not enough to make a difference. IMHO, The new EXP II 42mm is an instant classic. I have been were you are very recently, and asked the same question (I also threw the Omega Planet Ocean w/ 8500 movement in the mix). I have put a lot of thought and time into this and...

the more I researched, asked questions, thought about it, and went into my AD over and over, the EXP II just rose to the surface. Have you Googled reviews on the EXP II, they are raving to say the least.

Here are a few of my personal observations:

1) EXP II 42mm was more comfortable on MY wrist (your wrist may differ)
2) Love the original look! Love the orange hand!
3) No future repair bills for trouble shooting rotating bezel in future from sand at beach (are you a diver? Would you dive w/ your Sub? If not, no rotating bezel is really necessary).
4) Love the Luminated markers!
5) EASY TO READ dial. A big seller for me here! Do yourself a favor, and definitely compare the two watches while on your wrist. the larger 42mm maxi dial and markers easily win here! (no debate needed).
6) Love the larger 42mm watch. Why didn't Rolex increase the size of the Sub in the most recent launch?? Don't know, but I'll take a 42mm over its 40mm brethren any day. It just feels better.
7) Sub is unfortunately one of the most copied watches of all times. Flattering yes... but do you really want a watch that A) Screams Rolex B) Potentially screams fake Rolex by the untrained eye?
8) I am a diver. NO ONE has ever gone down 300 feet sport diving, so who cares if the Sub can go to 1000? (can you say "Dead Diver"?)
9) Glidelock clasp? +1 for Sub-C. Rolex, you big dummies, what were you thinking? Was the EXP II not deserving enough?
10) The EXP II sings to me the loudest.

One thing you will here consistently on this forum is "Rolex got this one right" in referring to the 42mm EXP. Wow... how often do you here that?

Good luck. You cannot make a bad choice here. Determine what is important to YOU, and choose accordingly.

Let's look at some great photo's! (All photos taken from other TRF previous post, in which I do not have names to give credit. If you see YOUR watch photo... thank you, and feel free to claim credit!)

To paraphrase a line from a well-known movie; "You had me at 10)"