View Single Post
Old 22 February 2010, 04:40 AM   #18
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASSETHOUNDS View Post
I have a Longines Flagship , left by my grandfather . It has the 341 movement . A watchmaker told me that it is one of the finest movements ever made . Not a clue if that is true .
IMHO in their hay-day Longines made some very fine movement and the Longines twin-barrel movements were something I wish had survived in current production,a brilliant movement,but expensive to make. Calibre 890, 892 & 893 had stacked twin barrels where calibres 990 to 994 had side-by-side barrels in a movement only 2.95mm thick.Now back in those days the power reserve of 44 hours was respectable but not particularly impressive for a twin-barrel movement. Although I'm sure that if R & D had continued on this movement this would have been substantially improved.And would have put many a modern movements to shame,from any manufacturer or brand today.And yes back in the late 1950s 1960s Longines made some fine movements.I had one of the first flagship Longines with the Cal 30L a very nice movement.It went on to be developed into the Cal 340 and its variants up to the cal 345 12-line 19800BPH.But at this time many Swiss manufactures were in trouble and sadly the movement side of the business is now long gone but not forgotten by some.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote