View Single Post
Old 28 April 2009, 08:23 AM   #29
mike
"TRF" Member

First of all welcome.

I'm a bit late to this one, but I'll echo what Marke and Scott have said.
As you're in the UK you might have better luck with an RSC service than we do in the states. They would be the best to service your watch and get paperwork for it.

As stated it appears to be a mid-late 60s example by the meters first dial. To me it appears it, at some point, receiced some kind of service as the triplock crown has three dots and the bracelet appears to be a later replacement from what it might have had in the begining. I'd guess it started with a riveted bracelet that was the norm back then.

Perhaps it's the photo, but the case lugs seem to have been rounded (perhaps a bit of over polishing) again a good reason to try an RSC there first. I'm guessing they can bring the lugs back to a beveled edge.

The crystal, if original, has seen it's better day and as Scott mentioned is at risk for failure if exposed to water. Acryllic develops stress cracks over time. It's the main reason Rolex replaces them at service. I'd guess the seals have seen there better day as well.

The insert will be replaced with a new luminova insert. If you want you can source a period correct tritium insert, but that would be your call.

Expect the bracelet to be replaced. An alternative is to have the bracelet rehabed, but Rolex won't do this.

With service and new bracelet you'll have about $1300 USD invested in the watch. A lot of money, but you will have a watch that speaks to the golden era of Rolex tool watches and is a sought after piece by collectors (especially with Rolex service paper).

Good luck.