Thread: 16520 vs 16523
View Single Post
Old 13 April 2024, 12:49 AM   #18
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by carwashchris View Post
Currently the SS is trading @ 21 to 24 k usd and the two tone 14 to 17 k .

I'm considering a purchase but torn, there is obviously more demand for the SS , thus someday easier to sell. But the 2 tone seems like such a bargain for 6k ish less. I like them both, for different reasons the SS for its popularity and the two tone for the lower price point.

My question is do the members here think the price difference will remain the same over the next 5 years or so.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
I want through the same quandary as you during 2007 when I purchased a gorgeous, two-tone "S" serial numbered 16753 Daytona with the inverted six white dial. It was a complete set, except for the green hang tag. It was priced much less than the stainless steel model, but I was looking for more of a "dress" watch and this seemed to be a good fit for me.

I owned it for 10 years and the appreciation was very little during that time. When I sold it during August 2017, I received $9,900. which was about $3,000 more than I paid for the watch during February 2007. During this same 10-year time span of ownership, the stainless steel model appreciated substantially more than my two-tone model.

My point here is, get what suits you, the stainless steel models will always outperform and appreciate more than the two-tone Daytona models. Time, collect-ability and appreciation really hasn't changed much since 2007 for these two models and I don't see that changing. It seems that most of the Rolex two-tone models always seem to lag behind in value when compared to their stainless steel counterparts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Img_3848small.jpg (91.0 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg Img_2228sm.jpg (146.6 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg Img_3844.sm.jpg (95.5 KB, 149 views)

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote