View Single Post
Old 12 November 2023, 06:54 AM   #25
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sampelligrino View Post
From an environmental standpoint I have no idea whether EVs are better or not, I'm a diehard internal combustion guy

But I have to admit seeing friends and family never have to deal with annual service/maintenance, and never visit a gas station and always "refuel" at home is a nice convenience... most people in major cities do not need more than 300+ miles of range a day
It really only makes any sense if one is using solar to charge/refuel the things up and to that, not everybody will be able to implement that at their property.
The power grid as it's currently designed does not configure well and it must be transitioned to a localised distribution and storage model to make it all work properly.
We aren't there yet by a very long way.
This business of puting in entirely new power transmission lines to accommodate large scale wind and solar farms in new locations is a cost that will need to be passed on and all of it needs to be maintained just like the existing stuff.
Fully factoring in increased insurance costs due to fires from at home car chargers and vehicles, storm/hail damage to panels on roofs and fires from PVDC isolators and inverters will put a dampener on the party as well.
The insurance companies won't be missing us and are coming after us already.
There's no such thing as a free lunch either and the world is going to find out the hard way about the cost of bearing the full responsibility for our own power generation and transportation.
Factoring in the lack of ability to repair an EV in an economical fashion after an accident is something insurance companies are still fully coming to grips with.
Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote