View Single Post
Old 14 December 2012, 04:30 PM   #25
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
IMHO in their hay-day Longines made some very fine movement and the Longines twin-barrel movements were something I wish had survived in current production,a brilliant movement,but expensive to make. Calibre 890, 892 & 893 had stacked twin barrels where calibres 990 to 994 had side-by-side barrels in a movement only 2.95mm thick.Now back in those days the power reserve of 44 hours was respectable but not particularly impressive for a twin-barrel movement. Although I'm sure that if R & D had continued on this movement this would have been substantially improved.And would have put many a modern movements to shame,from any manufacturer or brand today.And yes back in the late 1950s 1960s Longines made some fine movements.I had one of the first flagship Longines with the Cal 30L a very nice movement.It went on to be developed into the Cal 340 and its variants up to the cal 345 12-line 19800BPH.But at this time many Swiss manufactures were in trouble and sadly the movement side of the business is now long gone but not forgotten by some.
Peter, you never fail to impress with your knowledge! Always a pleasure to read your posts!

What's the thought on Panerai in-house such as the 8 day 2002?