View Single Post
Old 20 April 2008, 09:47 AM   #78
jmjm

Watch: Blue Submariner TT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake View Post
Is it true that the Rolex name was a combination of Rolls Royce & Timex? Do you know this to be a fact? It seems to me that Rolex has been around longer in the wrist-watch business than Timex. Anybody know for sure?
As we all know, Rolex is not the most prestigious watchmaker in Swiss, nor does it have the prodigy of other watch houses. Certainly, it is not the most expensive. I once had a chance to go to Zurich in '95 and was making small talk to my supplier during a business meeting, and his personal opinion was rather negative toward Rolex. The feeling that I got was like how in the movie Titanic, the character of Molly Brown (played by Kathy Bates) was referred to as "New Money". The gentleman that I was speaking with, a mid manager of a optical polishing machine mfg., gave me the impression that although Rolex is the most recognized brand from Swiss, it is not necessarily their national pride. Hmmm, imagine that, for I was thoroughly disappointed, internally.

Anyway, no one knows for sure the origins of the Rolex name. But the origins of the company is not Swiss, but I think England. They later relocated to Swiss. Besides good craftmsanship, it was a combination of several "Genius" marketing campaigns and good timing that made Rolex into what it is today. The (Rolls Royce + Timex) theory is one of several "Theories" that can be found in Rolex resource books. The Timex that they are referring to is not the same as "It takes a Licking, and keeps on ticking" Timex of America.

Of course, I am in no way an authority of this subject, but from what info. I've come across, over the years. I thought it was funny too.....
jmjm is offline   Reply With Quote