View Single Post
Old 14 July 2010, 10:29 AM   #1
johnnyksuper
"TRF" Member

Rolex Submariner Vs. Explorer II (First Rolex Watch)

Hello Everyone,

I have a dilemma I hope you can help me with. It takes me a LONG time to research and make up my mind when I purchase something so I hope you experts can provide some guidance in which direction I should go in purchasing my first Rolex.

I have always wanted a Submariner but I was doing a little research and I am actually tempted in buying the Explorer II. I know the the general differences like what they both were made for but I really don't know what one would be the best in overall quality and ruggedness. I enjoy swimming and I am always doing outdoor activities so I need something that will hold up. I heard the Sub bezel is somewhat fragile and the Exp's bezel is stationary so basically what I am wanting to know is what watch would involve the least amount of work/maintenance over a lifetime? I have found a Sub (no date) but I heard it was not cosc certified. Is that something to worry about?

Also, I am going to buy a pre-owned Rolex so I need some suggestions on some quality online stores that sell good pre-owned Rolexes. I have been looking for some on Ebay's trusted Power Seller's stores which I feel somewhat comfortable in purchasing from but not sure. I have found a Sub without a Date for $3699 (circa 2003) and an Explorer II (2005) for around the same price and was wondering if that was a good deal? Why are there other exact watches that are $1500 more?

I know it all comes down to what watch I want the most but I REALLY like opinion/thoughts from others so I would love to hear what you think.
Thanks in advance!
johnnyksuper is offline   Reply With Quote