View Single Post
Old 18 September 2014, 04:38 PM   #67
jvmartin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowncollection View Post
clearly aftermarket crap all over this watch, either way nothing wrong with the add at the end of the day, aftermarket dial and bezel is disclosed, certainly not my cup of tea, but not illegal to refinish an original dial plate, i still call it fake, maybe i should not. aftermarket bezel is ok if you like that sort of thing. The band in my opinion is somewhat trying to be rolex with that fake model number on it, it not a good attempt, but still an attempt by the manufacturer in my opinion to look original and i am sure it came with a fake clasp that has been replaced with this original one. I personally do not condone support of the counterfiet market by buying any of these types of items, that is just my opinion though.
I come across a fair amount of refinished dials and aftermarket bezels on Datejust models. I calculate the bezels have melt and material value (diamonds and gold) but that dials are absolutely worthless... most of this sentiment is based on my assumption that refinished dials were illegal but something that Rolex selectively enforced...

does anyone know the definitive answer to their legality? I understand a refinished aftermarket plate being illegal, but how does a refinished original plate differ in terms of trademark? You are still stamping Rolex's name afterall...

Last edited by jvmartin; 18 September 2014 at 04:39 PM.. Reason: missed a word
jvmartin is offline   Reply With Quote