View Single Post
Old 2 February 2010, 12:04 AM   #7
acce1999
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeroid View Post
"It needs a bezel (should be smooth), and a plastic crystal (not that expensive)" I have no idea what the bezel is .... and a plastic crystal ... isn't that a fake from the real crystal glass is had originally? Forgot to mention that the back piece is engraved .. so I guess that needs to be replaced too. And some slight scratchs on the band. Maybe it isn't worth fixing ?

I would imagine I did hit it while working with my hands inside some copier machine? So the value of $1200+ that someone has mentioned is what I should expect as is ? Or do I have to send it in for a new crystal top and clean up .... which I would suspect would cost $500 and then it's still only worth $1200 used ? ...... or if I spend the $500 to have it looking new ... what could I expect to sell it for used? Anyone have any idea who in Canada I would take it to for the repairs and where is the best place to try and sell ..... ebay ?
The bezel is the ring around the glass, keeping it in place. Up till the end of the 80's some Rolex models had plexiglass. Yours is such a one (Model ref 5700). During the 70's and earlier all models (with few exceptions) had plexi. It is not a bad thing! Many collectors prefer them like that.

The value of a used watch like yours, but in good working order, should be some 1200 USD, perhaps a bit more since you have both the box and the certificate. The current value, as it is, is low.

Yes a service including a new bezel, and caseback, would cost a bit, but would also make it easy to sell it.

If you are eager to sell, try to contact some of the regular sellers/buyers on this forum. Check out the "for sale"-section. Perhaps someone from Canada will comment this also. I live in Europe, and I would take it to a Rolex Service Center to get an estimate for a full service, including replacement parts before deciding.

Best,

A