View Single Post
Old 6 May 2008, 04:35 AM   #20
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
Question on this point.

Isn't there really an issue of preventive maintainance? In other words, you don't wait to change your car's engine oil just because it still runs well.

That said, I can't recall a single post by anyone here saying that they incurred a larger than normal service charge because they exceeded the recommended service interval and part a, b, or c was damaged etc. No scolding with a "pay me now or pay me later" tone from the RSC.

Your thoughts.
Well yes, and I DO believe in preventative maintenance. But my point is that, like a car, there are two ways of looking at it. Normal use and "severe duty." If it was my only watch, and I wore the heck out of it, I would service it in a 5-7 year interval, whereas since I own two of them I wear along with my Omega, I think (unless there is some sort of malfunction) pushing that out to 7-10 years makes sense. Furthermore, I read somewhere recently that because Omega has increased the recommended service intervals of their Co-Axial movement watches, Rolex has changed their recommendation to 7-years to remain more competitive in that area.

I serviced my Omega at 7.5 years, and would have waited longer, except that it was losing time. Service was still reasonable, and no major repairs were needed.
DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote