View Single Post
Old 11 November 2014, 12:15 AM   #85
ragingcao
"TRF" Member

Watch: cha talking about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG8 View Post
Yes the Explorer has for some decades been considered an iconic elegant all-rounder.

There is something so brilliant about its understated elegance and simplicity.

What has really impressed me so much about the 39mm version is that Rolex - to its credit - has resisted all temptations of current fads and trends to go the route of the "big watch" and "bling is good".

When I buy a luxury watch, I like to be sure that when I look down at it in 20 years time, I don't find myself saying: "what on earth possessed me to buy this watch?"

Now nearly 40 years after I bought my first luxury watch - a new Omega Speedmaster "moon watch" - I'm always delighted that I spent my AU$71.00 savings on it (I was a young teenager) very well. That was when the AU$ bought 3 Singapore dollars and was a big % more valuable than the US$.

ABOUT THIS HANDS SIZE issue.
Over the many hours I spent researching the Explorer 39mm on the web and in stores, I never noticed that they might be a bit short. Until, that was, I read commentaries about the length of the hands on this site!

Yes, the minute hand IMO should come closer to reaching the markings, if not actually touch them. That would make setting the minute hand precisely much easier.

Yes, if the hour hand was 1mm or so longer at the tip it would have enabled a little more luminous material too. But its length does no adversely affect reading the time accuratley IMO.

Maybe, even the width of the hands could have been very slightly increased in line with the 36mm to 39mm proportional case size increase.

But, do we really believe that Rolex's design team ignored all those design factors?

And, maybe Rolex could have even left some luminous material in the centre lines of the Arabic numerals as in its predecessor. This would help avoid a "blackout" of the numerals in certain light.

But every time I look at the 39mm Explorer, I still marvel at its truly great design.

And all the same, I finally bought the Rolex I have lusted after for 2 decades. Here, down under, since the mid 1990s new Explorers' were very rare and sold at a big premium. Used ones were the same. But just in the last couple of years they have settled down. I was even able to negotiate a good discount on a new watch (making the price less than a used version would cost me!).

Finally, FYI and regarding the hands issue, I have now looked closely at a number of premium brand watches like IWC, Omega, etc. and the likes of Bell & Ross and Sinn. All have various versions where a number of "tool watches" have minute hands a few millimeters short of the markings like the 39mm Explorer.

Now I will cease obsessing over this gorgeous watch's hands and enjoy its overall brilliance.

I'll post a review in a month or so.
Great review, especially on the hands. I'm wavering between the 36mm and the new 39mm because of the 'short hand' criticism. This helps.
ragingcao is offline   Reply With Quote