View Single Post
Old 11 November 2010, 03:14 PM   #21
Sunshine
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400GV
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Have to agree with you 100% myself worked in the steel industry for almost 30 years S.Steel is one of the toughest materials on the planet.And the only time it will stretch when its heated to around 1300c,and the many posts about laying there watch on cloths.Just encase the wood table scratches there watch makes me smile.
Having a background in metallurgy I do agree. However metal will stretch without heat if pulled correctly. I work testing metals tensile strength for weld procedure specifications. A metals tensile strength is its ability to withstand load before changing its shape. At yield strength you can see the amount of stress in which plastic deformation is made noticeable. Or going from plastic to elastic. We pull samples in a testing machine equip with an exlensometer to measure Modulus of elasticity. These tests are covered under the requirements listed in ASME Sec. IX. You guys have about 20 years on me so I will step aside.

I would in away consider the possibility of a hammering effect to the pins of a loose bracelet. Cyclic actively from the watch being allowed to shift from the top of your arm to the bottom of your arm or “hammering” over an existence amount of time might show a notable amount of deformation to the pins. I wear the bracelet on my 16600 loose and one of the pins in the clasp is showing some bend. However it is 13 years old.