View Single Post
Old 6 May 2016, 04:07 AM   #1
mikeschmidt
"TRF" Member

Selecting a GMT Master

I think I have decided on getting a GMT Master but still debating on which one. I would welcome any advice.

I would like a new watch but there are many things I prefer on the older models that I am trying to weigh the difference.

I don't like PCLs; is there any issue getting PCL of a new watch brushed?

New watch has solid links and micro-adjust bracelet. I am pretty happy with the oyster on my 14270 Explorer. Do you regularly use the micro-adjust as your wrist size changes during the day?

The 16710 is thinner and has slimmer lugs; is this noticeable? I have 7" wrist and either would fit me but I prefer smaller watches.

I like the smaller indices of the older watches and lug holes; the later requires a 2003 16710 or older.

It seems the older metal bezels can be easily swapped between "Pepsi, Coke, Black" and the inserts aren't that costly. The ceramic bezels seem more difficult to swap and costly (probably wouldn't do it). The older bezel can also be used for rough timing (with 1/2 minute adjustment); I often do this with my dive watch when cooking.

I don't "baby" my watches and I don't mind dings (if there mine) but I haven't had much luck finding good 16710s in Europe that haven't been polished too much. The ceramic bezel would hold up better.

16710: ~6200€ for Coke
116710: >8000€ for BLNR

It seems clear; I should keep looking for a good 16710 right? I was so hoping for a new watch.
mikeschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote