View Single Post
Old 17 January 2017, 12:42 PM   #93
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex The Watch Guy View Post
No need to take the pictures down, as noted, the watch is an extraordinary example and should be celebrated as such....thank you for sharing! I for one value the opinions of my fellow members (here or elsewhere), and would welcome an open discussion, that is after all what these forums are for.

Whether it's unpolished/untouched, who knows, no one will ever know unless you are the original owner. But, that's what makes this hobby interesting, the investigative leg work and your intuition/gut at it's best. I recommend reading the first chapter of Malcom Gladwell's book "Blink", for quite an interesting perspective.

Enjoy your beautiful watch, tune in to the signal and not the noise.

Best,

Alex
Alex, even tho I am not the original owner, I can get a pretty good idea from looking at this first hand. What some members do not realize is how much case material has to be removed when you "recut" a case ABC OR LAWW style. They are removing significant amounts of case surface material, down to the same depth as the scratches they are removing...

Even when you re cut a chamfer on a lug to make it crisp again, you have to completely straighten out the case from the preveious polish job.

My point was, that this case has so much metal, that there is no way it has ever been recut. Look at the crown guards, the thickness of the lugs.. when watch cases have undergone that type of surgery of a case recut, you can tell, you lose metal.

The mint sharp condition of the bezel and insert also tell you that this watch has been practically unworn since purchased. The age and ware all match. No one part looks newer than another.

So if you wish to investigate further as long as some members can be a little more tactful and offer some supporting information behind their bold statements then I don't mind sharing at all.

Here are some close ups of the case.

Crown guards top view

The lugs

Crown guard side view lots of metal..

Case side lots of little scratches and nicks but nothing major.

Beefy lugs.. and very crisp in between the lugs. This is an area that can never be polished.
SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote