View Single Post
Old 20 January 2011, 12:42 PM   #23
George Ab
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Them
I bring my watch into an quality watchmaker after approximately 7 years of use. The watchmaker will inspect and insure the bearing services still have lubrication in them, look at rotor axle end play that can result in contamination when the rotor contacts the case, look for contamination, etc. Before he inspects he will have a good idea if it requires a service based on the machine he puts it on. Amplitude is the degrees the balance wheel swings between hitting each pallet. Usually 200 to 300° shows a healthy watch, how free it runs and how well the energy is being utilized. A watch may still be within COSC, but with an amplitute of 100° is on its last legs. I have had watchmakers hand me a 7 year worn watch and say it looks good, come back in a year or so.

I know many just run their watch until performance is so severely impacted that they have to have it serviced. I have heard this discussed a number of times. I doubt if they boast about going 100K miles without an oil change in their car. As someone who has performed in-service engineering on complex electro mechanical systems for many years..... well, I am biased on doing the right maintenance at the right time at the right level. Fortunately, there are few parts that without lubrication cause the really expensive parts to be replaced. However, there are a few, but I've gone too deep into this as it is.

George Ab is offline   Reply With Quote