View Single Post
Old 9 November 2011, 01:38 AM   #6
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diapers View Post
Thank you very much, padi, cru jones and George Ab for the opinions.

The reason why I'm asking is because on my search for a pre-owned 16570 as a daily beater, I have seen specifically the S, F, W, M and Z series. Having read from many of you on this forum, it seems that generally M and Z series are preferred due to the new parachrom hairspring.
Which is why I am in a slight dilemma if I should get a really early watch like made in year 1993, and continue to wear and eventually pass it on like a heritage kind of thing, and whether it will be a good but not necessarily important factor to hopefully in the far future have its sentimental/economical value increased.

The M and Z series as padi mentioned, being the later ones, command a higher premium, while the others are significantly lower.

The new parachrom hairspring as George mentioned does seem to keep time a lot better.

I would like to be DIY switching between leather straps and the original straps or maybe even jubilee, so maybe those with lug holes might be easier to manage.

So from the opinions so far, it seems like there's really no specific make that I should be looking out for, and it seems like that unless I'm really a fanatic with a love for details like example the new Rolex etching on the crystal glass, or the words "Swiss Made" specifically, on the dial, the older ones will also make sense to me.

The Z series one by George seems like a great choice!
Once again Rolex have never made a series of any watch all the letters numbers are a serial number a approximation date when a case/clasp was stamped.And in general it will make little or no difference whatever hairspring is in the case.As with any movement its how its how well its regulated thats where the overall accuracy come from.Many vintage Rolex today still run to within a second or so a day.And to be called a chronometer they all pass the same Swiss test no matter whats in the case.And as long as any 16570 thats been serviced correctly in its life, there is no reason whatsoever it should not perform as well as any other 16570 that ever been made.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote