View Single Post
Old 20 April 2011, 05:10 AM   #30
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Six Month Update

Thanks for all of the kind comments.

I thought I would update my impressions after about six months of wear and hard use.

The accuracy is still running about -1 in normal wear that includes 2-3 runs each week. The arm swinging with running seems to cause the watch to speed up about +3 seconds per hour of running. So, I am actually able to regulate this watch by running or not running. "Sorry honey, I have to sit on the couch and drink a beer tonight as my watch is already spot on."

I have only worn my Omega Seamaster a handful of times over the last six months. Usually, it comes out for hiking or camping trips where the watch will get dirty or potentially scratched. So, all in all, the Explorer II has ALMOST turned into the perfect "one watch" solution for me.

My thoughts on the 2012 Explorer II....

Well, when I saw the photos of the upcoming revision to the Explorer II, I was initially a little intrigued. I really liked the idea of the improved lume on the new watch (thereby correcting the only real major complaint with the old version). However, I simply cannot see the increased case size as an improvement. The current version's case is, in my mind, perfect.

I also am not wild about the orange hand on the white face. I do think it looks spectacular on the black dialed version, however.

While the new bracelet and clasp seem interesting as well, I am not sure that it would be worth the weight penalty for me. Furthermore, rumors have it that the retail price on the new Explorer II will be pushing $7,000.00. That seems a little steep for me even considering the "improved" bracelet and clasp.

In any event, I have no doubt whatsoever that the new version will be a HUGE hit for Rolex. Hell, I might even be lining up for the black faced one in a couple of years if i can pull off the increased case size. However, all in all, I am very happy that I have one of the last "old" Explorer IIs. Maybe in 40 years it will be a collector's item with the 3186 movement.

Oh yeah - One surprising development from my purchase of this watch....

My wife now wants a Rolex

She has started to understand the attraction of mechanical watches and, while she has a very nice Raymond Weil MOP dialed quartz, was able to immediately notice the difference in materials and finish when she picked up a DJ with a MOP dial. She even commented that she is impressed that I do not have to baby such an expensive watch at all. So, it looks like I will be watch shopping again soon.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote