View Single Post
Old 9 July 2005, 06:50 PM   #1
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Zeno 44mm Pilot Watch

At 44mm, this watch is now the in fashion size. The 3 piece case is machined from 416L surgical grade stainless steel. It has a nice polished finish, which is evident over the entire case, including between the lugs, and on the rear bezel that surrounds the view back. The finish is very even, and is executed in a workman like manner. The case, including crystal, is 13.7mm thick, though the diameter of the case makes it look thinner. The lugs are 22mm apart. The case back, which comprises a stainless bezel into which is set the view crystal, pressure fit into the case back,the watch is water resistant to 30m. The crown is signed with Zeno's Swiss cross, inside a shield. This appears to be acid etched, and is a nice touch.

Movement:Unitas 17 jewel hand winding, calibre 6497/8
They do a 47mm version as well.

The watch is fitted with an ETA/Unitas stem wound pocket watch movement of lignes (36.6mm) in diameter. It is 4.5mm high. It is Incabloc shock protected, has an autonomy of 46 hrs,
This brute of a movement, which has been around since 1950s, has powered many fine and extremely expensive watches. However, in this iteration, it looks to be what it is, a workhorse movement, no more, no less, and completely undecorated. It ticks away strongly under the view crystal, with the huge balance wheel looking as though it would tow a truck!! There is not even any evidence of polishing on the plates, no blued screws, just a few of the 17 rubies glowing somewhere in that great mass of a movement. It should however prove to be a strong and reliable movement, which at this price, is all you can ask!

Dial and crystal

Extremely busy, best describes the dial of this watch!! There is minutes chapter with Arabic numbers around the outside of the dial, which can be read at 100 paces!,Hands are white lacquered fils tipped radium style and are filled with Luminova compound. The sub seconds hand is plain white lacquered fils. The minutes chapter, and the main hands are coated with Luminova, which glows strongly when exposed to light. From my experience of Zeno watches, I would expect them to give off sufficient light to remain readable for at least 8 hours. The markings are printed directly onto the dial. The covering of luminous compound is thick and even, and under magnification the whole effect is crisp, without overprinting or blurring. I have always liked the quality of Zeno's dial printing. Other manufacturers could learn a thing or two, and a few should feel ashamed!! There are mineral crystals front, and rear. The front is cambered, and the rear is flat. Both are acceptable for a watch of this price, but sapphire would be my material of choice. Neither shows any sign of a glare proof coating.

Strap:

The strap is unusual it flatters to deceive! The 22mm black waxed leather strap LOOKS for all the world like an expensive item, ala Panerai. It appears to be hand stitched, perhaps it is, and is extremely imposing, but on closer examination, it is not quite what it seems! Leather, yes, hand stitched, probably, handsome, definitely!, but not expensive. It is perfectly adequate, well made, and would fit a 12inch wrist, and I prefer it to the brown calf item normally fitted to this watch. (The tan strap, is an option, but free to special order) It is fitted with a well made manufacturers deployment clasp, which is push button operated, and has the benefit of a safety lock. Overall, at this price, an excellent bit of kit. I like it!!

Documentation, box and packaging:

The watch is delivered in a good quality wooden (looks like cherry) box, adorned with a bronzed Zeno medallion, about 45mm in diameter on the lid. A really nice touch for a watch of this price! It has a white cardboard slip case. The instruction leaflet, warranted document is not a big production, but nevertheless, adequate. A fine, good quality package, which at this price point is deserving of high praise!!

Conclusion: for the price £265 very good value for money
Timing out of the box around + 4 secs 24 hours very good.

A big watch, with shed loads of character,if you like this kind of thing (and I do), it is probably the best watch of its type at the price period. Were it to bear other manufacturers names, you would be happy to pay £1000/£1500 for it. Its quality is evident, in feel,looks, and execution. It will attract attention and admiration.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 4136.jpeg (29.5 KB, 320 views)
File Type: jpeg 4136-5.jpeg (36.1 KB, 300 views)

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder

Last edited by padi56; 9 July 2005 at 11:40 PM..
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote