View Single Post
Old 14 December 2012, 10:18 PM   #29
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Watch: If you wish...
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
While I would agree Patek make some very fine movements with a lot of complications.And yes they are very expensive and need quite a bit of expensive service to keep them in top form. But even Patek Philippe never made their own movements till the middle 1930s.And they still use a Lemania made Cal 2310 ebauche as a base, for some of there two register m/wind chronographs but they are highly modded by Patek.So what defines best today while there are many movements and brands like Patek,JLC,AP.and VC they are certainly the most expensive today and yes all fine movements.But better thats down to opinion IMHO as a movement you will have to go a long way to better the cal 3135 .But brands like Seiko with the Seiko Grand IMHO can equal the best of the Swiss in watches with say just a date complication.
Doesn't the Patek Philippe 5170 have an in-house movement?

I know that they didn't start making their own movements until a few decades ago (thank you for the precision about the 1930's! ) and they still had Lemania based complicated movements in their timepieces recently (take, for instance, the 5970, the 5070 and all those recently discontinued models) but it memory serves their current collection, although it is very recent indeed, has completely homemade models. I'm just wondering if I missed a current model somewhere that still have a Lemania based movement.

Thank you for the great answers Peter, I always learn new things whilst reading your posts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
But better thats down to opinion IMHO
I think this part of your answer sums it up my friend! While reading the posts in this thread I know I personally couldn't decide if I considered a tough and reliable movement or a very complicated and finished one better!
On va hisser le drapeau blanc un point c'est tout.

- André Fortin
FeelingTheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote