View Single Post
Old 20 February 2008, 02:07 AM   #16
CPTL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date; SS/WG DJ
I would advise against the Tag. Not the QC or commitment to craftmanship that you get from Rolex. Plus, everyone who thinks they want a luxury watch has one.

Omega v. Rolex you are left with. Omega wins on value. They make a fantastic, durable watch with amazing qualities. Clean lines, good weight, great bracelet and clasp. Features I would love to see on a Rolex, such as AR coating under the crystal and excellent luminous material. The price of the Omega isn't much more than the Tag (once you figure in actual market value and discounts), but it's 1/3 of the Rolex.

Rolex wins on "which is better." You just can't compare to a Rolex. The lines are classic. They started it all. The case, dial, and bezel are iconic and copied by every other watch company (including both Tag and Omega). Their service blows Omega away, but that's more a function of crappy Omega service than great Rolex service. Plus, when you've got a Sub on your wrist, there is no possibility that you'll look at another diving watch as superior. If you're wearing a Seamaster, there's still a chance that Sub will tug at you.

In short:
1. Forget the Tag.
2. If you want a "good buy," get the Omega. Possibly the best value watch out there ('cept maybe Oris).
3. If you want the best, get the Sub.
CPTL is offline   Reply With Quote