View Single Post
Old 30 September 2010, 03:25 PM   #67
hhh007
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckRolex View Post
Guys, stop with the toothbrush scratching gold or any metal nonsense.

The plastic fibers in the toothbrush are softer on the moh's scale of hardness than any metal and you cannot scratch something with an item that is softer than the metal being rubbed.

Saying it scratches even when you are using it while it is wet with a mild detergent which will act as an additional lubricant is BS.

Sorry, but I had to call you out on this one, its nonsense.

No, it's not nonsense at all, but rather 100% fact. A toothbrush, no matter how soft will absolutely put hairlines on highly polished gold surfaces as well as silver and even highly polished stainless if you repeat it often enough or scrub hard enough. Even lightly rubbing polished gold with a coarse dry cloth will hairline the surfaces. As a coin collector, I can't tell you how many otherwise very valuable coins I've seen completely ruined by people 'cleaning' them with a toothbrush or a rag or whatever and completely destroying the original surfaces.

As far as not being able to scratch something with an item that is softer......have you ever seen how easily a diamond can become scratched through careless handling or cleaning?
Explorer I 114270
hhh007 is offline   Reply With Quote