View Single Post
Old 3 January 2009, 04:34 AM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Good question, Cody.....one to which you will receive different answers.

Personally, to me it DOES NOT make sense to hold a STOPPED watch in your hand, unscrew the crown and start winding it.

Something like flogging a dead horse, if you get my gist!!

To me it makes more mechanical sense to get the damn thing going first by the "brandy like swirls" I described above, and THEN give the crown the 40 odd turns.

Once the watch is in MOTION, I think it's so much SAFER to wind. Surely 30+ years can't prove me wrong.

JJ
Well JJ thats whats the crown is for, and a automatic watch is only a manual wind watch with a automatic winding mechanism fitted.Some auto watches watches like some models of Seiko you cannot wind they must be shaken.But IMHO its always best to manual wind a stopped Rolex auto watch.You will not put any extra wear on crown stem or threads whatsoever,just think of all the manual wind Rolex and many others that get wound daily for decades.But to answer the original posters question you could shake to start but its best to wind fully to get the maximum power reserve to start off.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote