View Single Post
Old 18 February 2008, 02:29 AM   #9
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgodiving View Post
Great looking watch and tough as nails. I've heard they are generally 10+ secs off a day though, is that right?
.Well IMO without the Seiko 7S26 and comparable movements from Miyota (Citizen), Orient, and Swatch, many people would not be able to experience the joy of owning a mechanical watch.And given the reliability and robustness of the Seiko 7S26 movement.IMO I would not be shocked to see this movement run for 15-20 years without a service.Its a well made movement,but not a pretty movement,but with many good things like the Diafix cap jewels,and the nickel power train wheels,that are stronger than the traditional brass.And can be easily tuned to around + 3 +5 secs a day,most mass produced Seiko's I have found, tent to run +10 to+20 out of the box.

There is a misunderstanding in some, that people assume Seiko equals affordable/cheap. Most are undoubtedly referring to Seiko's normally found on the street in Europe and the Americas, and they are definitely a good, fantastic, value for the money. But you can also get vintage and new high end Seiko's, which, until the advent of the Internet, were relatively unknown outside of Japan. And a few other far east Asian countries (Taiwan, HK, Singapore ETC.) "King Seiko","Grand Seiko", and "Seiko Credor", you will find in these watches that, movement and case finish wise, easily compete with the best of mass produced swiss watches, i.e. Omega, Rolex, etc. As for style… well, that is in the eye of the beholder. At best they can be considered very conservative.

But it really depends which movements,and watches you are comparing to. What this all boils down to is: Seiko makes some truly outstanding products, and some mediocre ones, just like many other companies. If you want to buy one, you should, by all means do it. Because their bang-for-the-pound-factor is amazing value, at both ends of the spectrum.

And Japanese movement test, to a very much higher spec than the Swiss COSC.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote