View Single Post
Old 9 July 2015, 04:46 AM   #1
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Icon6 Larry (Tools) made me do it

Rolex movements are nothing special to look at. They are built like tanks and work. Period. They don't have a gazillion jewels, gold rotors and others that some of the other haute horologie brands are known for.

However, during my five year tenure as a watch fanatic, I've learnt that I enjoy display case backs on modern references, and I am not alone as many brands are catering/pleasing the customers by offering watches with display case backs (i.e. see the move from AP on the Royal Oak Offshore Divers and the release of the Tudor North Flag for instance).

Anyway, long story short, during the years I kept coming back to Larry's thread here http://rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=154091 and a couple of weeks ago I decided to buy a Thomaspreik case back and have it installed on my 116520.

IMG_2473.jpg

It's been done by many others here, but I wanted to drop a thread just to say that I am quite pleased with the results. Here is a shot together with another of my current favorite display back references.

IMG_2626.jpg

Do you think Rolex will ever release a clear case back reference?

And no, I did not have the guts, tools or knowledge to do it myself. I had a watchmaker do the work, water and pressure test after installation and all good.

IMG_2429.jpg

Be well and have a great day.