View Single Post
Old 18 September 2016, 09:47 AM   #98
Nicholas Bedworth
"TRF" Member

Regarding the first post in this fascinating thread, well, as a resident of Kathmandu, there isn't a Marriott quite yet, at least not as far as their reservation system is concerned. There is, however, a magnificent Hyatt, where from time to time, explorers do in fact congregate and fill up the parking lot with rally cars and Land Rovers.

The modern Explorer with the chromed numbers just wouldn't fit in, let alone in Thamel where the backpacker-mountaineering crowd also hangs out.

My Explorer was purchased in the Hauptwache in Frankfurt in 1972, age 21, for $100, which was a lot of money at the time, and after decades of not wearing it, it was overhauled by Jewelers on Time, and has never left my wrist. There's something about it that makes be feel very well dressed and presentable 24 hours a day. It's truly a classic, even though a mass-produced classic, and design never got stale (this is from someone who thought that the Apple brushed aluminum look in the '90's was boring, and has gotten even worse over time; a Rolex is isn't).

This is all a little odd, because I'm not a collector, and generally have few possessions other than what's required for me to work, but the Rolex really makes me feel complete in a hard to explain way. All my other watches have been $50-70 Pulsar closeouts on Amazon, as that's as much as I'd spend on a watch. But ponying up the funds for JOT to overhaul the watch resulted in a treasure.

BTW this is a great forum... everyone sharing their stories and enjoying.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160620_123940.jpg (67.0 KB, 884 views)
File Type: jpg 13872770_518706608318864_7217102381681708492_n.jpg (203.0 KB, 880 views)
Nicholas Bedworth is offline   Reply With Quote