View Single Post
Old 25 July 2010, 07:53 PM   #1
steubi1
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many
Sub 116610 LN Review

OK,

I have the new Sub C now for one week and I think it is time to make a short review. In the past, I owned (and still own) different classic Subs.

To start with some pics (I have already posted in the general discussion forum):

http://img251.imageshack.us/gal.php?...er11661000.jpg

Rolex Submariner 116610 008.jpg

Rolex Submariner 116610 005.jpg

Rolex Submariner 116610 004.jpg

Rolex Submariner 116610 002.jpg

Rolex Submariner 116610 007.jpg

1. General impression
In the beginning, I was not really in favour of the new maxi case, because it changes the overall look of the watch dramatically. This is not a minor change, it is really a new design era for the Rolex sporties. Initially I thought the lugs are too wide and not in proportion with the bracelet.
And then it happened that I found myself thinking: Well it is not that bad, actually the dimensions of the lugs are perfectly in harmony with the outer elements of the bracelet, and the bracelet is NOT too small, in fact it fits very well.
My general impression after one week is now that Rolex has done a pretty good job. They modernized the design and look of the icon Submariner in a gentle way, without destroying the heritage of this exceptional model. But in the same time, they managed to set a new design milestone giving the message "Hey, I am the Submariner, but the NEW one...".
All in all, I am now very happy with the new design, and it still grows on me day after day.

2. General workmanship and quality
...is excellent. Rolex has paid attention to every small detail. The polished and brushed surfaces are perfect. A small detail is that the wider lugs are brushed parallel straight top down which gives the impression they are a unity with the bracelet.

3. Bracelet
The best improvement is the bracelet. Solid, almost no stretch, smooth to wear and the clasp! Click and one more click...fixed on the wrist. The Glidelock mechanism is extremely important and valuable: In steps of about 2mm you can adjust the fit of the bracelet exactly to your wrist size! And with the Glidelock, you can easily compensate cool/warm weather conditions which will change your wrist size.
Very, very comfortable indeed! One may put the question why it took 50 years to create a steel bracelet like this....

4. Ceramic bezel
I do not care for the scratch proof feature, never had any problem with the old aluminum bezels! This is pure marketing gimmiks...
What I like is the look of the ceramic bezel: It has different very nice surface effects. Depending on the light, the color changes from deep black to grey with some shades of green and light blue. Very Nice!
The turning of the bezel is smooth, and the positioning precise in 120 positions. Perfect.

5. Maxi dial
What can I say, beautiful!!! Like the old classics 40 years ago, but with a blue lume that makes the watch look extremely cool, especially with a greyish bezel.
The dial is extremely easy to read under different conditions, and the anti reflection coating on the cyclop helps a lot to read the date.

6. Movement
The well known, traditional Rolex movement with the in-house produced blue hairspring. This is an important step for Rolex, because it makes them 100% independent from Swatch Group who supplied the hairsprings so far to Rolex.
Accuracy is perfect for me with -3 seconds over 6 days now. The minus adjustment will change to positive with the years because the amplitude of the balance wheel will slightly be reduced and thus the frequency will go slightly up.

7. Weight and comfort
The weight is exactly 151 grams with two full links removed from the bracelet. My wrist is close to 7 inches and the fit of the bracelet is very good. All in all, I feel very comfortable with the new Sub, thanks to the glidelock bracelet.

8. Summary
I still like the classic Subs and think these are beautiful functional watches and icons of Rolex.
The new Sub is a major step forward IMHO. I like it very much. Rolex has managed to keep the Sub image and yet modernize and improve it.
I am very happy with my new acquisition!

Hope you enjoy this little review.

Greetings
Tom
steubi1 is offline   Reply With Quote