The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old Yesterday, 04:47 AM   #1
LazyTimegrapher
"TRF" Member

Watch complications

What are your favorite complications on a watch and why?

I’m curious what makes some complications highly sought after or particularly popular like the Rolex Daytona for example. I guess I’m assuming the Daytona is popular because it’s a chronograph, but maybe it’s popularity is unrelated to the complication.

If anyone has a watch they love in spite of its complications, that’d be interesting to know too.

Thanks!
LazyTimegrapher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:09 AM   #2
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
I have a PC, a minute repeater, a chrono, a gmt, dive watches, date watches, and a milgauss (sort of a complication). My favorite complication is the minute repeater because it converts mechanical energy into sound in a way that precisely communicates the time.

IMO, the Daytona is popular more because it is hard to get than because people want a stopwatch on their wrist. The panda is much more popular than the black dial, which supports the notion that the watch is popular because it’s a Daytona, not because it’s a chronograph.
Maleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:19 AM   #3
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

I appreciate complications of various types - none particularly more than others.

The Daytona is appreciated because of its aesthetic qualities and its association with iconic events and people. Throw in the significant overlap in people who appreciate mechanical workings of cars and watches, and that cross-association is amplified. Of course the fact that it is so popular and iconic is further reinforced by Rolex taking advantage to restrict production (relative to demand). It has been a halo piece for a while now…

I also love Patek complication pieces. Annual calendars and moon phase. Also enjoy Chronographs from Patek and others. GMT… long list.

Can appreciate the ingenuity and precision but aesthetics combined with quality are higher than the complication type itself for me.
BraveBold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:41 AM   #4
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveBold View Post
I appreciate complications of various types - none particularly more than others.

The Daytona is appreciated because of its aesthetic qualities and its association with iconic events and people. Throw in the significant overlap in people who appreciate mechanical workings of cars and watches, and that cross-association is amplified. Of course the fact that it is so popular and iconic is further reinforced by Rolex taking advantage to restrict production (relative to demand). It has been a halo piece for a while now…

I also love Patek complication pieces. Annual calendars and moon phase. Also enjoy Chronographs from Patek and others. GMT… long list.

Can appreciate the ingenuity and precision but aesthetics combined with quality are higher than the complication type itself for me.

Exactly this. I really appreciate the engineering of fitting all that precision machinery into a watch case that can be warm in all positions and still do it's job accurately. Sure we can expect a mini computer to do that but with mechanical pieces thats simply amazing IMO. Just because it's been being done successfully for over a century doesn't make it any less amazing. It's hard to believe so many people simply buy based only on aesthetics when you think about what's happening just under the dial.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:13 AM   #5
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I can respect a lot of the complications, but other than the date, which I used to want, I really don’t use ANY complication. And now, not even the date.

The 5 chronographs that I have I like for the aesthetics and design but never use the function at all. I also have a dual time but never use that function either.

Even my G-Shocks, I only read the directions as far as how to set the time.
Old Yesterday, 07:18 AM   #6
LazyTimegrapher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleg View Post
I have a PC, a minute repeater, a chrono, a gmt, dive watches, date watches, and a milgauss (sort of a complication). My favorite complication is the minute repeater because it converts mechanical energy into sound in a way that precisely communicates the time.

IMO, the Daytona is popular more because it is hard to get than because people want a stopwatch on their wrist. The panda is much more popular than the black dial, which supports the notion that the watch is popular because it’s a Daytona, not because it’s a chronograph.
Wow. Your collection sounds absolutely amazing. I’m at a loss for words to describe it. What a treat to be able to enjoy so many different cool watches.

Which one gets the most wrist time? Whichever one it is deserves a prize for outshining the competition in that lineup.
Old Yesterday, 07:26 AM   #7
LazyTimegrapher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Bay Rider View Post

Exactly this. I really appreciate the engineering of fitting all that precision machinery into a watch case that can be warm in all positions and still do it's job accurately. Sure we can expect a mini computer to do that but with mechanical pieces thats simply amazing IMO. Just because it's been being done successfully for over a century doesn't make it any less amazing. It's hard to believe so many people simply buy based only on aesthetics when you think about what's happening just under the dial.
I’m a mechanical engineer, so the ingenuity to make all these functions possible mechanically is something I really enjoy. There are quite a few quartz watches that I think are cool like the 2mm thick citizen watches, but the fact that they’re electronic makes them lose some of their appeal to me. There’s something about the mechanical nature of watches that really enjoy.

Honestly just the “simple” function of a self winding movement that uses my random motion to keep the watch running still kind of blows my mind. I hadn’t thought of it this way before but quartz watches do just fine left in a drawer for a year, but an automatic needs to be worn to keep ticking. There’s something cool about that. Maybe I’m crazy or overly romantic but it’s almost like there’s a relationship between the watch and the wearer since it needs to be worn to keep functioning.
Old Yesterday, 07:51 AM   #8
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Chronograph is probably the only complication which I intend to collect. Perpetual calendars are too complicated for me in terms of setting them, and having to use a winder to keep it constantly running is not something I’m particularly well versed.

Chronographs can be quickly wound and set on the day I want to wear the watch, and the setting process is usually straightforward
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:23 AM   #9
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Loved the dedicated hand and date numbers on the old Triple Dates.
Old Yesterday, 08:48 AM   #10
Carguy87
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: JC 126660
My favorite is a tourbillon. Can stare at one for hours…don’t own one yet, but someday!

To your other question I absolutely love my Speedmaster Moonphase, in spite of not giving a single sh!t where the moon is at in its lunar cycle lol. It’s a bit bigger than a normal speedy which I like given my wrist size, it’s automatic so I don’t have to wind it since I’m lazy, and I think the moonphase indicator balances out the dial very nicely, so I love the aesthetics of it, but could care less about using the actual complication.
Tudor: Black Bay GMT Opaline
Carguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:29 AM   #11
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
GMTs & Chronos.

Not a fan of perpetual calendars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:14 PM   #12
Giovannibravo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub| DJ41| 79540
Based on my collection, a diver is the most practical. However, it has to be a minute repeater. I have a grandfather clock in my house. I don’t think there is any better way to communicate time. It’s so soothing to the ears.

Giovannibravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:45 PM   #13
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
The Sonnerie function of my Phoenix is now the most useful and interesting feature for me.
INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:30 PM   #14
RTG
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YM42 Ti
Useful complications for my life have been dual time with date. World timers without a date seem broken or incomplete. Current obsession is a mechanical alarm dual time. Waiting for the right deal on a Breguet Marine Musical Alarm, blue dial titanium on bracelet. Some day…
Old Yesterday, 11:38 PM   #15
RTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguy87 View Post
My favorite is a tourbillon. Can stare at one for hours…don’t own one yet, but someday!
Moser Tourbillon is on my list for the same reason. I can just stare at it all day. Looking for a 2019/2020 midnight blue in stainless steel. Some day…
Old Today, 12:02 AM   #16
LazyTimegrapher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by INC View Post
The Sonnerie function of my Phoenix is now the most useful and interesting feature for me.
I’ve never heard of this function or watch. Who makes this and what does it do? Or what should I google to find this? I tried “Pheonix sonnerie watch” but there weren’t any clear results since I’m not sure what I’m looking for.
Old Today, 12:08 AM   #17
LazyTimegrapher
"TRF" Member

Quote:

To your other question I absolutely love my Speedmaster Moonphase, in spite of not giving a single sh!t where the moon is at in its lunar cycle lol. It’s a bit bigger than a normal speedy which I like given my wrist size, it’s automatic so I don’t have to wind it since I’m lazy, and I think the moonphase indicator balances out the dial very nicely, so I love the aesthetics of it, but could care less about using the actual complication.
Tourbillons do look cool when they function. I have a skeleton watch the Raymond Weil freelancer and the balance wheel and hairspring operation looks pretty cool too. When I was just starting to learn about watches I didn’t understand the difference between a tourbillon and a skeletonized balance wheel. Took me a while to understand the difference.

The other thing is there’s a lot of variations on a tourbillon. I saw a moser one that’s perpendicular to the dial and I think I saw a Cartier one that spins around the watch hands. I think it was called an Astro tourbillon or something.
Old Today, 12:10 AM   #18
Carguy87

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTG View Post
Moser Tourbillon is on my list for the same reason. I can just stare at it all day. Looking for a 2019/2020 midnight blue in stainless steel. Some day…

Moser is the one! (That or VC, the Maltese cross tourbillon looks amazing but the price hurts)

Got to try this on in Vegas on my last trip (well lay it on my wrist; I need the longer strap lol)

Seriously wanted to melt some plastic and take it home that day!

Old Today, 12:13 AM   #19
Carguy87

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyTimegrapher View Post
I’ve never heard of this function or watch. Who makes this and what does it do? Or what should I google to find this? I tried “Pheonix sonnerie watch” but there weren’t any clear results since I’m not sure what I’m looking for.

It’s the Bel Canto by Christopher Ward. The Phoenix is special commissioned edition by our own JasH!

It’s a chiming watch (search minute repeater to learn more, and see why at sub $10,000 it’s an amazing price point for this type of piece)

https://www.christopherwardforum.com...ix-t62405.html

Old Today, 12:30 AM   #20
LazyTimegrapher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTG View Post
Useful complications for my life have been dual time with date. World timers without a date seem broken or incomplete. Current obsession is a mechanical alarm dual time. Waiting for the right deal on a Breguet Marine Musical Alarm, blue dial titanium on bracelet. Some day…
Worldtime is my favorite complication, and I agree that without a date they fall flat for me. It’s odd to me how many world timers don’t have a date. I have the omega “gmt worldtimer” and it has a date. Technically some say it’s not a worldtimer because the cities don’t move and it just has a gmt movement with a disc instead of hands, but I actually prefer that. Since the cities don’t move, I can remember where they are and find them more easily. I also think the world map that lines up with the cities is cool and just generally like how the watch looks. For the price I think it’s great value, especially in the preowned market.

I had never heard of a mechanical watch with an alarm, let alone all the functions on the Breguet you mentioned. For anyone who’s wondering how that works here’s a watchbox review. This is one of the coolest mechanical watches I’ve ever seen. An alarm you can set via a subdial, dual time, tons of lume, and a date. Very impressive.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1CcLABxERck
Old Today, 12:41 AM   #21
LazyTimegrapher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It’s the Bel Canto by Christopher Ward. The Phoenix is special commissioned edition by our own JasH!

It’s a chiming watch (search minute repeater to learn more, and see why at sub $10,000 it’s an amazing price point for this type of piece)

https://www.christopherwardforum.com...ix-t62405.html

Thanks for the link and watch name. The price for the non limited editions of that watch seem difficult to beat for a complication of that complexity. That’s a very unique looking watch. I’d imagine you get a lot of compliments and questions about it. Certainly not something you see every day or ever for that matter. Also very interesting they put their complication on top of an SW200. The service costs might actually be pretty affordable, at least compared to other grand complication watches.
Old Today, 12:45 AM   #22
LazyTimegrapher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Moser is the one! (That or VC, the Maltese cross tourbillon looks amazing but the price hurts)

Got to try this on in Vegas on my last trip (well lay it on my wrist; I need the longer strap lol)

Seriously wanted to melt some plastic and take it home that day!

This thread is where learned of moser. The simplicity of their dials and watches is very appealing. Especially how simple their grand complications like perpetual calendars are. Very unique distinctive watches.
Old Today, 12:57 AM   #23
LazyTimegrapher
"TRF" Member

Does anyone view ultra thin as a complication? And if so do you like it? I admit I’m a fan of Piaget and their ultra thin watches.
Old Today, 01:19 AM   #24
RTG

The Wynn is where I fell in love with Moser also. Probably best to walk right on by that shop. My pictures don’t capture the beauty. Has to be experienced first hand

Old Today, 01:24 AM   #25
RTG

Quote:
Worldtime is my favorite complication, and I agree that without a date they fall flat for me. It’s odd to me how many world timers don’t have a date. I have the omega “gmt worldtimer” and it has a date. Technically some say it’s not a worldtimer because the cities don’t move and it just has a gmt movement with a disc instead of hands, but I actually prefer that. Since the cities don’t move, I can remember where they are and find them more easily. I also think the world map that lines up with the cities is cool and just generally like how the watch looks. For the price I think it’s great value, especially in the preowned market.

I had never heard of a mechanical watch with an alarm, let alone all the functions on the Breguet you mentioned. For anyone who’s wondering how that works here’s a watchbox review. This is one of the coolest mechanical watches I’ve ever seen. An alarm you can set via a subdial, dual time, tons of lume, and a date. Very impressive.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1CcLABxERck

Like minds! Dateless world timers are a huge pet peeve. When you travel the world and you’re jetlagged and tired, the date is a real help.

That’s the watch! Though the titanium version has a sunburst dial. I would probably prefer the white gold, but I would wear the titanium more often as I wouldn’t baby it as much.

Let’s not drive up secondhand prices until we own them ourselves!

Old Today, 01:39 AM   #26
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
Quote:
Or what should I google to find this? I tried “Pheonix sonnerie watch” but there weren’t any clear results since I’m not sure what I’m looking for.
Here you are:

https://www.christopherward.com/bel-canto-watches-1

https://www.tiktok.com/@mclaren_mso_...83881009319200

The funny thing is that even though this is a true sonnerie complication, even CW doesn't call this feature on this name.

This feature means that it chimes once in every hour.
INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:16 AM   #27
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

An interesting thing about tourbillons, some skeletons, (love the Corum Golden Bridge) and a few other complications is that most people never have had the opportunity to actually see the magic.

Obviously still pictures on various sites don't show the action, so people don't see the mesmerizing movements.

There should be a law that you can't look at these while driving.
Old Today, 02:41 AM   #28
LazyTimegrapher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
An interesting thing about tourbillons, some skeletons, (love the Corum Golden Bridge) and a few other complications is that most people never have had the opportunity to actually see the magic.

Obviously still pictures on various sites don't show the action, so people don't see the mesmerizing movements.

There should be a law that you can't look at these while driving.
That’s actually something I really like about the Raymond weil skeleton I have. You can explain how the watches work to people who didn’t know that some watches work mechanically and don’t need batteries.

I bought a watch winder several years ago and for the first year my wife thought the purpose of it was to display the watch. She couldn’t figure out why I wanted to have my watches spin around every few hours, but just thought I was odd and never asked. One day she finally asked why I liked spinning my watches, I explained that these watches don’t use batteries and instead use your motion while you wear them to charge themselves. She was amazed.
Old Today, 05:21 AM   #29
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Does anyone view ultra thin as a complication? And if so do you like it? I admit I’m a fan of Piaget and their ultra thin watches.
I guess it’s a “feature, but for me who hasn’t worn a suit in many years and don’t care about something fitting under my cuff, it’s a meaningless feature.

I get that it’s an achievement, just not one I care about. That said, some of those watches have an interesting aesthetic that exists, because it’s ultra thin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_6463.jpeg (40.4 KB, 29 views)
Old Today, 08:49 AM   #30
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Wow. Your collection sounds absolutely amazing. I’m at a loss for words to describe it. What a treat to be able to enjoy so many different cool watches.

Which one gets the most wrist time? Whichever one it is deserves a prize for outshining the competition in that lineup.
I have a rotation, like many people here, but I gravitate to my 5513. It has grown old with me and our shared history brings back some memories. It also shares a lot of the patina and wear.
Maleg is offline   Reply With Quote