The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 May 2024, 12:40 AM   #1
ukwatchguy1
"TRF" Member

Daytona Panda 116 vs Pepsi Jubilee (Grey market purchase)

Hi all

I know I have made similar posts in the last, but I am now seriously close to pulling the trigger on changing watches

I still have my 2023 black sub date which would be part exchanged if I was to upgrade.

The Pepsi on Jubilee or panda 116 ref are the 2 watches I keep coming back to. The Pepsi may be a bit flashier and comfier to wear/ more legible? And the panda a classic I feel but the oyster PCL may scratch easier and is it as good of a one and done watch as a Pepsi?

I still haven’t heard from my AD re the mint green DJ41 on Jubilee that I was going to add alongside my sub and be done at that.

If I did get a Pepsi I could always add the DJ too if I was offered it

Am I mad considering the change?

Current UK grey prices work out to be approx £7k on top for a 2023 Pepsi jubilee and £14.5k ish for a 2021 + panda on top of my submariner as the PX

I did also have a wild card thought of a YM42 ousterflex yellow gold but feel they are quite a lot of money for not much gold, or the full gold bluesy is around similar money to the panda at approx £14k on top.

Lots of thoughts going on in my head re the swap, I’ve been pondering it for months and months and just want to reach a decision with the help of some pros and cons of each watch I mentioned really, perhaps from fellow owners or people that have done similar upgrades from a regular sub date

Thanks all!
ukwatchguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 12:49 AM   #2
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

Those are the two biggest SS hype models. Ask yourself what you would wear the most? I think you will miss the sub and would consider adding.
hutch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 01:03 AM   #3
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
I find the Daytona more comfortable by the way.

There are compelling arguments for both but I’d go with the Daytona. I enjoy wearing my 116 white more than a GMT. But I think both are great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 01:07 AM   #4
Oytun
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712,116500 & Rest
116 for sure but £14.5K difference is excessive for 2021.. there are unworn 2023 ones for that price (sub+£14.5K). i wouldnt make that trade i would sell the sub alone and find a better deal for 116 with all cash.

Sub must worth £10K when selling and i believe you can find 116 for ~£21-22K
Oytun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 01:12 AM   #5
Spoonage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

So I have all three kind of... BLNR, SubC, White DaytonaC... How I rank them...

BLNR > SubC > Daytona... If I could only have one I would keep the BLNR and sell the other 2.

I may be out of the market for a bit... But those prices seem high...
Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 01:16 AM   #6
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
Pepsi on jubilee is more comfortable to me than the 116500. Jubilee also hides scratches better.
Either watch is an excellent one and done. I preferred the panda when I had both, but not by a ton. I rarely ever needed the GMT function, and I used the chrono all the time (timing lunch breaks, meetings, drives, etc...).
Pepsi is moderately flashier in terms of shine (jubilee), but I think the panda is more noticeable because of the white dial. The Pepsi bezel never was as noticeable as I thought it would be.
Pepsi is slightly more legible, but once you get used to the dial on the panda, you'll find it to be about even in legibility. Pepsi legibility is the same as your Sub, unless you really depend on the bezel of the Sub to help you quickly tell the time.
If going with the Pepsi, I'd consider waiting a little bit longer since prices are still declining after the discontinuation rumors proved incorrect.

If considering going gold, would you really wear it every day and feel comfortable with it? If the answer is no, then you need a second watch to go with it or should consider sticking with the stainless pieces you're looking at.
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 01:23 AM   #7
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
1. Keep what you have. Never sell, you will regret letting the sub go.

2. From your post, it seems like you haven't quite made up your mind about what direction you want to go in. You're thinking blro vs daytona, but maybe also a DJ on the side but hey YM42 OF seems nice.

3. My advice is to critically think about things. What are the reasons why you want the "next piece", and is it the right choice for you?? If possible, try before you buy. You need to see it in person. This is a lot of money you are talking about and it's important to be rational with these decisions.

Good luck! (And by the way, once more, keep what you have!!)
Old 21 May 2024, 01:24 AM   #8
Oytun
"TRF" Member

Also one other thing to consider, pepsi is double it's msrp right now. hard to find a good deal, not worth that kind of hyped price. I believe it will come down slowly. Panda is not as hyped as a pepsi in terms of grey market pricing.
Old 21 May 2024, 01:34 AM   #9
Neil McCauley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukwatchguy1 View Post
Hi all

I know I have made similar posts in the last, but I am now seriously close to pulling the trigger on changing watches

I still have my 2023 black sub date which would be part exchanged if I was to upgrade.

The Pepsi on Jubilee or panda 116 ref are the 2 watches I keep coming back to. The Pepsi may be a bit flashier and comfier to wear/ more legible? And the panda a classic I feel but the oyster PCL may scratch easier and is it as good of a one and done watch as a Pepsi?

I still haven’t heard from my AD re the mint green DJ41 on Jubilee that I was going to add alongside my sub and be done at that.

If I did get a Pepsi I could always add the DJ too if I was offered it

Am I mad considering the change?

Current UK grey prices work out to be approx £7k on top for a 2023 Pepsi jubilee and £14.5k ish for a 2021 + panda on top of my submariner as the PX

I did also have a wild card thought of a YM42 ousterflex yellow gold but feel they are quite a lot of money for not much gold, or the full gold bluesy is around similar money to the panda at approx £14k on top.

Lots of thoughts going on in my head re the swap, I’ve been pondering it for months and months and just want to reach a decision with the help of some pros and cons of each watch I mentioned really, perhaps from fellow owners or people that have done similar upgrades from a regular sub date

Thanks all!
IMO don't sell the Sub.
I did that with my first Sub to help fund the start of a business but I kind of regretted it ever since. Had to wait about 7 years to be able to get another.

Of course you're free to do as you wish, but with it being a 2023 it doesn't look like you've had it that long.

AD game is a long one, depending where you are in the UK. I was about to go grey this week and got the call for the very watch I wanted. Just the way it goes sometimes.
Neil McCauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 01:39 AM   #10
milgauss2232
"TRF" Member

Watch: the watchmen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oytun View Post
Also one other thing to consider, pepsi is double it's msrp right now. hard to find a good deal, not worth that kind of hyped price. I believe it will come down slowly. Panda is not as hyped as a pepsi in terms of grey market pricing.
Considering this, would you think it would be a good move to trade the BLRO with some topup for the panda?
milgauss2232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 01:51 AM   #11
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
For the price, i would go with the pepsi.
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 02:19 AM   #12
karleone
"TRF" Member

You already have a Sub. BLRO and Sub are very similar watches (almost the same black dial, similar case shape, bezel etc ...).
A Daytona especially in white dial would be a better addition imho
karleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 04:34 AM   #13
huba01
"TRF" Member

+1
huba01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 04:46 AM   #14
Il Ciclone
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520 Panna
I have the black sub and a 116520 panna and a pepsi on a jubilee... So I can definitely give advice on the subject... your ideas are fine except you stated you would trade in the submariner, which in my opinion would be a mistake... Keep the sub, it goes with a white shirt and jeans, a t-shirt and shorts as well as with a suit. You need an everyday watch...
the pepsi on the jubilee is much flashier, all the waiters and people stare at my wrist if I wear it out to eat or to the mall, it attracts alot of attention.
And finally the panda Daytona is wonderful, but I am not sure where you live, but I wear my 11652 panna like once every month, it's not an everyday watch... unless you take the elevator to the garage drive to work and park in the building and max go to eat downstairs in Dubai, Manhattan or Singapore... the world has changed and it's way too expensive to wear walking around town...
I think you're definitely on the right track... power to you and good luck... but imho keep the sub wear it daily and get a second watch, like the Daytona to wear for on weekends and during the holidays...
my 2 cents on the subject, I hope I could give you a concise and objective answer.
All the best of luck !!!!
Il Ciclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 01:16 PM   #15
Tqmb79
"TRF" Member

Have the Pepsi on jubilee and the panda. If I had to pick one to keep, the panda would win. That being said, I’m never selling either.
Tqmb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 06:00 PM   #16
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

I am in the minority and say trade in your sub. Subs are everywhere tbh. You can easily buy one new for market price later. I would go for the Pepsi. The Daytona legibility and hype around the Panda dial makes it more difficult to wear daily imho. The Pepsi is no more flashy to me than a DJ on jubliee and a Sub combined. And given less cash required, I say upgrade to the Pepsi and call it done for a few years.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk
amphr1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 07:36 PM   #17
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAZ View Post
1. Keep what you have. Never sell, you will regret letting the sub go.

2. From your post, it seems like you haven't quite made up your mind about what direction you want to go in. You're thinking blro vs daytona, but maybe also a DJ on the side but hey YM42 OF seems nice.

3. My advice is to critically think about things. What are the reasons why you want the "next piece", and is it the right choice for you?? If possible, try before you buy. You need to see it in person. This is a lot of money you are talking about and it's important to be rational with these decisions.

Good luck! (And by the way, once more, keep what you have!!)
Have to agree. ^^^^

Keep saving for the next and enjoy the process of figuring out which one you truly want
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 07:47 PM   #18
Gunnersaurus
"TRF" Member

I'm in a poisiton similar to you. Currently have a Sub which I was fortunate to get from an AD back in 2019 and have been on the list for a Pepsi since 2020. Given up on getting the Pepsi at retail so going to buy it grey when I get my bonus next month.

Was considering a Panda too (the 116500 not the new one), as I tried one and loved it, but the Pepsi has been the one I've wanted for such a long time so I'm going to get that first and add a Daytona down the line when the time is right as it would be a dream to complete the air, land sea collection!

Only mention this as I agree with others that you would be mad to let the sub go as it is such an iconic watch and is the perfectly daily. The Pepsi and Panda are more statement pieces in my humble opinion
Gunnersaurus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 07:56 PM   #19
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Nicknames �
I find the Pepsi so dull in person, you really need to try on and not rely solely on photographs that do their best to enhance the colours , any light and photography can make something look amazing , don’t get me wrong I’d take any current GMT model because quite simply the GMT II range is such a good watch and the functionality is incredible different time zones and can be used as a compass …
But, having both, the Daytona especially the 116500 white dial is stunning imho … but it comes down to funds , condition and let’s be honest here either watch if you got them you would not be disappointed …

Some people cause happiness wherever they go ; and others whenever they go ..
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 09:14 PM   #20
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Keep your Sub. Add the BLRO when you can.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 09:39 PM   #21
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
As a thirty plus year collector/trader I have had numerous Daytona's and the last being the black and the white 116 series. I liked the watches for the flex that they are but that was about it. Too small, too difficult to read, pushers are an issue for me with the screw down part. With that said, they are beautiful watches. I own the BLRO on Jubilee and really like the colors and the jubilee bracelet, so comfortable. I also own the 124060 and think it is a great watch and one that might be the last to leave the collection. My advice would be to keep your Submariner, table the Daytona and BLRO purchase for a bit and pick up what you can pay for. I would get the new Omega Speedmaster Professional with the white dial, $8100, and available in retailers now or grey for a slight premium. I would continue to wait on the DJ and save as you wait to be ready. You keep your Submariner, you get a great new release from Omega, that to me is better than the Daytona, and you continue to build your collection. Just my thoughts. Let us know what you decide.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 09:43 PM   #22
Sephiroth
"TRF" Member

Your head is all over the place. Give yourself some more time to decide.

For me the 116500ln white Daytona is Rolex at its best and an absolute must have. Pepsi and these other models cannot compare.
Sephiroth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 09:46 PM   #23
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post

Keep saving for the next and enjoy the process of figuring out which one you truly want
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post

Keep your Sub. Add the BLRO when you can.
Well said, gentlemen.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 10:26 PM   #24
ukwatchguy1
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the replies so far everyone!

I get the comments about keeping the sub, but if I had either the Pepsi or Panda I really don’t think I would ever wear my sub, as it would feel too “basic” in comparison to those other pieces.

I have an Apple Watch I can use for rougher stuff like DIY/ gardening etc that I wouldn’t wear my sub for anyway

Had another quote of £12k for a 2019 panda, or Pepsi £7750 for a 2024, £7k for a 2023, or around £6.5k for 2020/2021
Old 21 May 2024, 10:50 PM   #25
Time Bandit
"TRF" Member

If I could only keep one of my watches it would be my blro. Iconic design, comfortable, legible, and the most useful complication. Daytonas don’t really excite me so take it with a grain of salt.

I also wouldn’t be too precious about keeping the sub. If you regret trading it, you can always acquire another one.
Time Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2024, 01:27 AM   #26
Oytun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milgauss2232 View Post
Considering this, would you think it would be a good move to trade the BLRO with some topup for the panda?
I'd do it unless BLRO is lowballed when trading

Quote:
if I had either the Pepsi or Panda I really don’t think I would ever wear my sub, as it would feel too “basic” in comparison to those other pieces.

Have both, both great watches tbh. I still enjoy my sub. Can't say it's basic even next to a SS Daytona.

Quote:
Had another quote of £12k for a 2019 panda
£12k sounds a bit more realistic and reasonable for current market, but i wouldn't pay more than 10.5 - 11 if i were you
Old 22 May 2024, 04:50 AM   #27
yesnaya
"TRF" Member

Not going to comment on the prices because that info is readily available and constantly changing. I own the 116500 black dial and a pepsi jubilee. I wear the pepsi way more: It has a date, the jubilee does not show scratches and smudges like the PCL oyster does, and I like the pop of color.

I dont dislike the daytona; I love it. But I reach for the pepsi much more often.
Old 22 May 2024, 02:56 PM   #28
milgauss2232
"TRF" Member

I took my Pepsi to the grey dealer ready to trade with some top up yesterday. There they were there on the table, one 116500, one 126500 and my Pepsi. But something stopped me when I saw all three on the same table. Somehow I just don’t feel that the Daytona is more watch than the Pepsi and I gave up the trade. Maybe I’ll save up and buy the Daytona on cash someday, but now I’m convinced trading Pepsi for Daytona is not gonna happen for me.
Old 22 May 2024, 11:36 PM   #29
ukwatchguy1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milgauss2232 View Post
I took my Pepsi to the grey dealer ready to trade with some top up yesterday. There they were there on the table, one 116500, one 126500 and my Pepsi. But something stopped me when I saw all three on the same table. Somehow I just don’t feel that the Daytona is more watch than the Pepsi and I gave up the trade. Maybe I’ll save up and buy the Daytona on cash someday, but now I’m convinced trading Pepsi for Daytona is not gonna happen for me.
Very interesting! Do you have a Batman/ batgirl also judging by your pic? If so what would you choose over Pepsi or batgirl? A lot of posts I’m finding are saying Pepsi jubilee is possibly one of the best one and done / all rounders there is and the sub coming last in the comparisons. I am tempted to head to Hatton garden or a local grey dealer to try a Pepsi and Daytona again and decide once and for all!
Old 23 May 2024, 12:48 AM   #30
milgauss2232
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Very interesting! Do you have a Batman/ batgirl also judging by your pic? If so what would you choose over Pepsi or batgirl? A lot of posts I’m finding are saying Pepsi jubilee is possibly one of the best one and done / all rounders there is and the sub coming last in the comparisons. I am tempted to head to Hatton garden or a local grey dealer to try a Pepsi and Daytona again and decide once and for all!
I do have a 116710BLNR,. I guess it’s probably not as stunning as the Pepsi, but that piece holds sentimental value to me so it’s even less likely for me to trade that for a panda. I guess right now, I don’t think there’s any in the Rolex range that i would choose over Pepsi or Batman…