The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 May 2024, 07:30 AM   #1
kkhandoh
"TRF" Member

Advice needed - First Rolex purchase for wife

Hi Folks,

New member here, if this is not the right forum please let me know so I can post it appropriately.

I'm requesting for advice and/or suggestions for my first rolex purchase.

I'm sorry for the long post but wanted to provide all relevant info.

I've only started considering buying a rolex for my wife of 25 years about 4-5 months ago.
This is a big deal for me as I want to celebrate completion of treatment of a serious medical condition that she has been going through. She's been saying that she wants to buy a rolex for both of us but of course its a big purchase, plus I don't have that kind of money lying around. However I've been saving for this and hopefully should be able to buy hers in a couple months.

I live in the middle east and travel between Dubai and Qatar regularly so both those markets are accessible. Based on what I've read online, the prices here are much higher than US or UK because of the hype and insane money that the local buyers have. But if the price difference is not huge (more than $1k), I'd probably prefer to buy locally. Buying from the US is also possible as my brother lives there and then I have to figure out how to get it shipped.

As a start I configured a few models on the rolex website and asked their price from the local grey dealers (jewelry stores mainly) who deal in new as well as pre-owned watches. The picture is attached with prices.

As you can tell, I'm not a real collector or enthusiast so my thought process was to go for a new one but I am now open to suggestions.

I think the size should be a minimum 31 but feel that a 36mm or 41mm would also look good, I know she doesn't like the small ladies ones. Also the Jubilee bracelet seems classic but the other bracelets also look good on some models. The other important thing is of course what I can afford, my max is about $10-12k and the only one in the pics for $10k is the submariner but it looks more for men I think.

I also want to somehow have her wear a few models to see which one looks good and which one she likes, but I haven't been able to do that yet as the grey dealers dont always have stock.

I have also recently started looking at watchrecon and chrono24 and really like the Wimbledon datejust. It starts around $12k on chrono24. Is that a good model to consider?

Ideally I want to buy one which also maintains or appreciates in value, but some comments online suggest that only 10-15 models fit that category and they might be out my range, is that correct?

Based on the information above, can someone please recommend some models that I should look at. Do the prices in the attached pic warrant considering buying from the US instead of local? Should I also seriously consider pre-owned instead of new? Would a darker or colored dial be better than plain white or grey? I also think she would like the silver/gold two tones but seems like those would be definitely above my price range?

Thanks everyone, I'd truly appreciate any advice or suggestion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg watches.jpg (126.6 KB, 206 views)
kkhandoh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2024, 04:35 PM   #2
Scottyboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: GP Laureato
For a purchase like this, value retention shouldn't really form part of the conversation, as you are buying a watch to mark an occasion, which will be with you both forever. It's far more important that you buy two watches you really like, as these are keepers.

But if you insist of buying watches that retain or increase in value, stop looking at two tone Date Justs with diamond dials.

Welcome to the forum.
Scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2024, 05:24 PM   #3
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Is there any Rolex that your wife particularly likes?
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2024, 05:55 PM   #4
barelyturbulent
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
Is there any Rolex that your wife particularly likes?
Datejust 31: This model is a perfect blend of elegance and functionality. With its 31mm case size, it's slightly larger than the traditional women's watches but still maintains a graceful look. It comes in various materials, including stainless steel, white gold, and the iconic Rolesor (a combination of steel and gold).
barelyturbulent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2024, 06:34 PM   #5
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Lots of recommendations but a purchase like this is purely a personal decision.
For me the larger watches look fine even on a smaller wrist. My wife graduated from the smaller Rolex like you mentioned and now wears an Omega Planet Ocean so one extreme to the other.
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2024, 07:48 PM   #6
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
AI, or close enough.

Never argue with a fool, as eventually it will be difficult to tell the difference.
Moondoggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2024, 09:42 AM   #7
kkhandoh
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the replies.
996marty - completely agree that it is a personal decision, my intention is to just get some ideas from people who know and understand Rolex as I've just started learning and appreciating it.
barelyturbulent - thanks, I also think the datejust looks really nice, I mean compared to a submariner or sea dweller, etc. as those seem to be more for men.
Harry-57 - Not really. I know she doesn't like the small sizes and would prefer something that makes a statement. I'm trying to casually show her different model pics here and there to get a better idea.
Scottyboy - I couldn't agree more that value retention shouldn't be a criterion and I do intend to buy one which I think she will like the most. That said, I guess I just thought to consider it in the sense that since many of them retain or appreciate in value it would be cool to have one which has that too. Its also interesting that you said to stay away from two tone datejusts. I don't think I can afford one with a diamond dial but a two tone appeals to her since it can go with many outfits, jewelry, etc. Did you mean that typically two tone datejusts don't retain value or appreciate at all?

So far the one I really like is the Wimbledon and am trying to find one that she can try on. If there are other models that anyone can recommend to consider it would be awesome.
Thanks
Old 24 May 2024, 12:09 PM   #8
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Advice needed - First Rolex purchase for wife

Get her a 36 mm Datejust. You mentioned the Wimbledon. I chose the TT on oyster bracelet with fluted bezel. It’s my favorite watch. I also don’t like small ladies watches, and find the 31 too small, for my taste.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:18 AM   #9
kkhandoh
"TRF" Member

Thanks KatGirl, it definitely looks very nice
Old Yesterday, 10:46 AM   #10
Quietstorm
"TRF" Member

I hav gotten a 278271 slate dial 31mm DJ for her as a wedding anniversary gift.
Quietstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:18 AM   #11
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
My vote is for Datejust.

So many variants and you sort of make it either elegant or sporty based on the configuration. I would shoot for 36 since she doesn’t like small watches. It’s a perfect medium to large sized watch. Plus there are so many colors you can really find what you all like to suit her. The price works in the budget as well and you should be able to get it new.

Another couple options that haven't been mentioned are the Oyster Perpetual (can be hard to get in some colors), or the Explorer which may be a good choice if she doesn’t like small watches. The two tone Explorer is also a nice variant of that and still in the budget I believe.

Happy hunting and welcome
Old Yesterday, 04:44 PM   #12
jtorrebl

Watch: what’s next.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
Get her a 36 mm Datejust. You mentioned the Wimbledon. I chose the TT on oyster bracelet with fluted bezel. It’s my favorite watch. I also don’t like small ladies watches, and find the 31 too small, for my taste.

Kat

Great suggestion. It sounds like OP wants to share the watch with her. This way he could wear it too.
jtorrebl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:39 PM   #13
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Go together to the AD in Dubai. Try the ones you like on the wrist
and see what makes her smile.

Sweetspot may be 31mm, at least its for my wife and some of her friends.
You can buy each model on the grey market for almost same or even less than at the AD.

Value retention on second hand luxury products is a bubble
Old Today, 03:25 AM   #14
Littletommy

I bought the 31MM $15K watch for my wife a few years ago (but with a champagne dial). She loves it. I had the same watch in 36MM, but I sold it as there was not enough contrast between the hands and the dial. My old eyes could never see what time it was. They are beautiful watches.
Littletommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:57 AM   #15
boa2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
You can't tell from photos, not from looking in the case, or even holding it in your hand. See what lights her up once it's on the wrist. Often what you think is "the one" will surprise once it's on the wrist. And if she chooses it, it's the one.
Old Today, 04:07 AM   #16
Hulkhunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyboy View Post
For a purchase like this, value retention shouldn't really form part of the conversation, as you are buying a watch to mark an occasion, which will be with you both forever. It's far more important that you buy two watches you really like, as these are keepers.

But if you insist of buying watches that retain or increase in value, stop looking at two tone Date Justs with diamond dials.

Welcome to the forum.
Have to agree with this. Value retention/appreciation doesn’t really matter if it’s a sentimental piece. However, you will be fairly safe with most Rolex should you have to liquidate, they are will still be worth a decent amount compared to most brands.

Seems a bit of a random selection of watches. I would recommend a DJ on jubilee to you as it’s a good all rounder. Can get the jubilee bracelet and a good selection of dials/configurations. Also, with the exception of a couple of dials you will have a decent chance of getting it from an AD.
Hulkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:46 AM   #17
Colorado_kid
2024 Pledge Member

Matching Datejusts is a pretty good choice. 41mm and 36mm.

My wife and I did that for our 15 year anniversary. It feels special when we both wear them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Colorado_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:40 AM   #18
kkhandoh
"TRF" Member

Thanks so much everyone, looks like the DateJust is the way to go.
I agree that she has to try it on to see which one she really likes.
One clarification, I'm sorry if my post somehow suggested that I want one which we can both wear or buy two matching ones (I wish), that's not what I'm looking to do. In due time I will buy one for myself, but right now I'm just planning to buy hers.
I'll go to the AD in a few days and see which dials they have that we can try and if they will sell directly or not. If they don't then I may need to buy online with international shipping. Any suggestions for online places which sell brand new?
Thank you all once again.
Old Today, 09:59 AM   #19
KatGirl

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkhandoh View Post
Thanks so much everyone, looks like the DateJust is the way to go.
I agree that she has to try it on to see which one she really likes.
One clarification, I'm sorry if my post somehow suggested that I want one which we can both wear or buy two matching ones (I wish), that's not what I'm looking to do. In due time I will buy one for myself, but right now I'm just planning to buy hers.
I'll go to the AD in a few days and see which dials they have that we can try and if they will sell directly or not. If they don't then I may need to buy online with international shipping. Any suggestions for online places which sell brand new?
Thank you all once again.

So that you are absolutely sure that you get a legit unworn Rolex, buy from one of the boutique sellers here. Call one (I’ve used Takuya), and tell him what you want. If he doesn’t have one, he’ll find it for you.

Kat

KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:13 PM   #20
steveclr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondoggy View Post
AI, or close enough.
Its a shame that we have to consider this. I can imagine many forums requiring some form of ID in a few years.
steveclr is offline   Reply With Quote