The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 5 November 2012, 01:39 AM   #1
s1nn3d
"TRF" Member

Watch: what i'm wearing
Proper Box set for an OP 1002

Hi all.

Just want to ask what's the appropriate inner and outer box for a 1972 Rolex 1002 sold in the NY, USA in 1973?

Any leads would be much appreciated.
s1nn3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2012, 04:02 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
There is a list of known boxes that came with different models over the years in our Reference Library..
Old 5 November 2012, 08:11 AM   #3
s1nn3d
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
There is a list of known boxes that came with different models over the years in our Reference Library..
I looked it up and posted my query there first. Since there's no mention of the watch model I have in the said thread in the Reference Section and there were no subsequent reply to my query, I posted here considering there are more people who goes in the Vintage Rolex Section.
Old 5 November 2012, 08:43 AM   #4
Czechman
"TRF" Member

Watch: See my signature
I was active in that forum a while back and the consensus at that time was that there was no specific box for any given watch. Find out what boxes fit the timeframe of your watch and take your pick. Occasionally someone is lucky enough to get the original box with an older watch. In this case, that box is the only one for that watch. But, even if you had the same watch it wouldn't necessarily have come in the same kind of box.

I'm subscribed to that thread and occasionally get email notification when someone posts there and when they do, it's usually someone with the same question as yours.

It's a muddy subject that is being debated today.

19019, 19018x3, 17000x2, 16570x2, 16220, 5700, 1501, 6564, 16030, 16710, 16610

Czechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2012, 09:18 AM   #5
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1nn3d View Post
I looked it up and posted my query there first. Since there's no mention of the watch model I have in the said thread in the Reference Section and there were no subsequent reply to my query, I posted here considering there are more people who goes in the Vintage Rolex Section.
You didn't get answers there because it is a "Reference Library" for research, not a discussion board..

Your OP from the 70's would use the same/similar box that a Sub used from that era, green plastic flip box with card insert.. the photos you show are much, much later..

Something like this.

Old 5 November 2012, 08:22 PM   #6
s1nn3d
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You didn't get answers there because it is a "Reference Library" for research, not a discussion board..

Your OP from the 70's would use the same/similar box that a Sub used from that era, green plastic flip box with card insert.. the photos you show are much, much later..

Something like this.

Got the gist. So the outer box should be the green stripe box, right? While the inner box is similar to what image you posted.

Having said that, a recent post discussing red flags in buying vintage rolex watches mentioned that. and i quote: "... non-USA model watches wearing USA-made bands and/or accompanied by USA made boxes." My OP is a USA model watch that was sold in N.Y. as indicated in its warranty booklet. So my question is, how would one know if the box is made in USA or not? I know it's bit anal but I guess it won't hurt to know how to differentiate.
Old 14 November 2012, 11:54 PM   #7
s1nn3d
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Something like this.

According to this thread I found http://50.30.33.71/~trfcom/showthread.php?t=208129 , that is a Bufkor Rolex watch box with a light green inner box which puts it in the late 70's period. My OP is from 72 making it late don't you think?

How about this 06.00.06 outer and inner box? Is it period correct, so to speak, with my 72 OP?

One item in the reference thread (http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=74592), had it matched with a 71 Oyster Date 6694.

Do you think either of the 2 box would suffice as a matching box? Given the inputs given in this forum.
Old 15 November 2012, 02:21 AM   #8
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
To s1nn3d. As far as I know, there were no USA specific boxes in the early 1970's. The first USA box was the Bufkor box which was used by Rolex during the late 1970's. The early 1970's used the green stripe box or seahorse box.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is online now   Reply With Quote