The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 January 2019, 12:39 AM   #1
Gamj
"TRF" Member

No stock anywhere

I have been on business for the last few weeks so have been on a mission to find something in store. I have been to heathrow t5, birmingham, dublin, belfast, glasgow cardiff, brighton, london... sometimes multiple ADs in each place. Nothing but Datejusts. Does anyone actually spot anything in windows anymore?
Gamj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 12:46 AM   #2
Naples09
"TRF" Member

Nope. It’s all in the back.
Naples09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 12:51 AM   #3
1watch
"TRF" Member

“Welcome to Rolex, yes we have no bananas or SS sport models, have a nice day”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 12:56 AM   #4
RTG
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YM42 Ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naples09 View Post
Bingo. Act interested in something else expensive and then tell them you really wanted XXXX model rolex. Odds are they will bring it out and offer to sell as a package deal.
Old 18 January 2019, 12:58 AM   #5
Hub6152
Banned

I was chatting with one of the Hong Kong AD sales people and she told me that, contrary to popular rumours that supplies were being restricted, the delivery supply frequency and quantity hasn’t changed at all. What has significantly changed is the numbers of people wanting a sports Rolex and then having to be put on waiting lists. She said that a year ago it might have been 20 or so whereas now it’s well over 100 - so the demand is outstripping supply by a very wide margin, and as soon as anything in steel comes in its allocated to a customer and almost immediately gone, which is why there’s none on display. This AD did have a YG Sub and MOP/Ruby dial YM on display though! This also fits with a recent article in which a major US dealership owner (can’t think of his name) said it was simply increased demand and not a shortage of supply that’s the reason for the lack of availability.
Hub6152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 01:07 AM   #6
peter_pl
"TRF" Member

I spotted an OP blue 369 dial 36 mm yesterday and liked it so much I couldn't leave it at the store so I bought it. Couldn't be happier! :-)
peter_pl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 01:08 AM   #7
rolexinfl
"TRF" Member

IMO the ADs should at least stop pissing on us and saying it's raining

Just put the damn SS models in the case to be looked at instead of squirreling them away 'in the back' or fake 'on hold in the back' claims and just at least put them out to be seen and be HONEST with customers and say 'sorry but you can't just buy this anymore' its for our loyal customers or to be paired with another watch.

stop the games.
rolexinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 01:39 AM   #8
Hub6152
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexinfl View Post
IMO the ADs should at least stop pissing on us and saying it's raining

Just put the damn SS models in the case to be looked at instead of squirreling them away 'in the back' or fake 'on hold in the back' claims and just at least put them out to be seen and be HONEST with customers and say 'sorry but you can't just buy this anymore' its for our loyal customers or to be paired with another watch.

stop the games.

On the other hand if I was a customer at the top of the list I wouldn’t want my soon to be collected watch being manhandled by anyone let alone put in a display case for every Tom Dick and Harry to gawk at. AD’s should have a duty of responsibility to their paying customers and if that means a delivery of one or two SS models have to be put away safely for a day or two (because some AD’s have a time limit to collect the watch otherwise it goes to the next on the list) then so be it!
Old 18 January 2019, 01:50 AM   #9
Boba Fett
"TRF" Member

Watch: Star Wars
My local AD has explorer and yacht masters in the window.
Boba Fett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 02:04 AM   #10
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naples09 View Post

^^^this unfortunately

RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 02:05 AM   #11
lawrence1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub6152 View Post
On the other hand if I was a customer at the top of the list I wouldn’t want my soon to be collected watch being manhandled by anyone let alone put in a display case for every Tom Dick and Harry to gawk at. AD’s should have a duty of responsibility to their paying customers and if that means a delivery of one or two SS models have to be put away safely for a day or two (because some AD’s have a time limit to collect the watch otherwise it goes to the next on the list) then so be it!
Get over yourself. These aren’t made out of glass so someone trying it on or looking at it before pickup isn’t the end of the world.
lawrence1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 02:09 AM   #12
Saaci
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
There was an explorer and both dial EX II in the window when I was in Galway a few months back.

Saaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 02:10 AM   #13
jinikari01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
There may not be any SS on stock but they do carry the finest diet cokes... LOL.

Good luck on your hunt!
jinikari01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 02:10 AM   #14
Hub6152
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence1 View Post
Get over yourself. These aren’t made out of glass so someone trying it on or looking at it before pickup isn’t the end of the world.

Get over myself? I’m not even in the running for and nor do I even want one! As a sales assistant myself I know how shitty and demanding customers can be and how much grief an assistant can get! So I totally get why AD’s put the one or two SS pieces they get in a shipment straight in the safe to await their earmarked customers. They don’t stick around long enough to even go on display anyway so what’s the problem.
Old 18 January 2019, 02:19 AM   #15
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
The greys bought it all

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 02:31 AM   #16
andrewjb88
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16302 Rolex OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamj View Post
I have been on business for the last few weeks so have been on a mission to find something in store. I have been to heathrow t5, birmingham, dublin, belfast, glasgow cardiff, brighton, london... sometimes multiple ADs in each place. Nothing but Datejusts. Does anyone actually spot anything in windows anymore?
Seen a 116619LB in Rome Flumacino and then seen the same watch in Dublin.
Luch one hand
andrewjb88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 02:42 AM   #17
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Self censored for talking rubbish. And being argumentative for the sake of it. As usual.
Zakalwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 02:51 AM   #18
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Quote:
Get over myself? I’m not even in the running for and nor do I even want one! As a sales assistant myself I know how shitty and demanding customers can be and how much grief an assistant can get! So I totally get why AD’s put the one or two SS pieces they get in a shipment straight in the safe to await their earmarked customers. They don’t stick around long enough to even go on display anyway so what’s the problem.
Yes. Get over yourself.
Old 18 January 2019, 02:55 AM   #19
1watch
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I would agree with this position. If I’m the buyer and paying that much,
I expect it to be factory fresh. The only way it’s appropriate to keep and display a paid for piece...and allow others to handle is if the new owner is aware and has given permission to do so.

1watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 02:58 AM   #20
RolexReviews
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watch View Post
If I’m the buyer and paying that much,
I expect it to be factory fresh.
Exactly.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
RolexReviews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 03:00 AM   #21
Dpop24
"TRF" Member

AD local to me didn't even have any men's DJ's in the case. The only men's watch was a rose gold DayDate. Other than that, there were only 6 ladies DJ's.
Dpop24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 03:01 AM   #22
FoolioABC
"TRF" Member

When I bought my Rolex, I asked for one in a coffin if they still had one, which they did. For me, there’s something special about knowing all the people who’ve worn the watch. So, to me, if the watch is gonna be sold to someone no matter what, why not elevate the experience for the paying customer by presenting something totally untouched? It was different for me though, I bought at a time when these “rare” models were just sitting in cases waiting to be tried on (ie 1.5 years ago LOL), so I could try on what I wanted. As a shopper, the trying on experience was crucial, as a buyer, getting the coffin’d watch elevated the experience for me. So I think there’s benefits to both sides.

FoolioABC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 03:05 AM   #23
Sammers23
"TRF" Member

There was an Explorer in the window of WoS in Brighton last week. It had been there for 20 minutes when I snapped it up. I don't have an established relationship with the store and I admit it's no Sub or Batman, but it's just what I wanted!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Sammers23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 03:13 AM   #24
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolioABC View Post
as a buyer, getting the coffin’d watch elevated the experience for me. So I think there’s benefits to both sides.
I feel the same way.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 04:17 AM   #25
calh22a
Banned

Quote:
Yes I agree with you on this. Not sure why youre getting so much slack. If I’ve been waiting 6 months for the watch, I’d rather see it come out fresh from the coffin. It’s like special ordering a vehicle and taking delivery with 100miles on it. Just doesn’t quite feel brand new anymore.
calh22a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 04:57 AM   #26
Kamen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watch View Post
I would agree with this position. If I’m the buyer and paying that much,
I expect it to be factory fresh. The only way it’s appropriate to keep and display a paid for piece...and allow others to handle is if the new owner is aware and has given permission to do so.

I also agree with this. Luxury items should be treated differently. I wouldn't want people to test drive or sit in a car I have spoken for, so same for a timepiece with a designated end user.
Kamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 05:18 AM   #27
twidz
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day Date 18238
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexReviews View Post
Exactly.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
Do you know how many lads at work i see go to the whizzer and do no1 and 2's and calmly whistle and walk out?

Please don't touch my brand new shiny Rolex pwetty pweeezzzz!
twidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 05:21 AM   #28
mk2jag
"TRF" Member

I got the call today that my no date sub has come in. I told the AD that I wanted to pick it up next Tuesday but he said that he will be on vacation. I asked if I could come a week later because I wanted to purchase it from him and not his colleague. No problem, the watch will be in the stickers in the safe till I get it in a good week and a half....

I waited this long, what a couple of weeks more......
mk2jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 06:10 AM   #29
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamj View Post
Rarely....mostly all DJs.
I have spotted the odd Explorer 1 and 2, Air-King, OP, Yacht-Master, Milgauss etc but the days of steel subs/GMTs sitting in windows are long gone,
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 06:17 AM   #30
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Actually there was a post a few days back about an AD with some stock. They apparently do exist.

Here's the thread with a Sea Dweller...

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=651510

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote