The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 April 2020, 07:55 PM   #1
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Rolex bygone years a Bit Different to Todays Rolex mainly about ££££$$$$$$.

Many years ago back in the late 1970s think it was 1979 my Father always wanted a Rolex watch so he took on two jobs and saved for just over 5 years to get his watch.Now he always wanted a Submariner so when he had saved enough money at this time just over £950,so off he went to the AD to buy his watch.And I am sure he did not go with a Lupe to examine ever minute detail of the watch.In those days you just bought a Rolex watch knowing that watch would last a life time and beyond.Back in those bygone days you bought a Rolex not to try or hope it would go up in value, but to wear hopefully in good health for the rest of your life.Now when my Father got to the AD they showed him the sub,but tried to sell him a 6263 Daytona instead, in those days they were very very poor sellers.And they even offered him a discount of £25 of the price,now the Daytona was almost a £100 retail cheaper than the sub so with the discount plus the cheaper price he bought the Daytona 6263.Now with the money saved he bought my mother a new washing machine,now sadly my Father did not live a lifetime to enjoy his Rolex he died at the age of just 56.Now IMHO WW11 Dad was in the navy on aircraft carriers dad lied about his age he was just 17 plus returning from war back to working in the coal mines shortened his life I am sure.The Daytona now belongs to me but in my life time I would never sell it at any price. It just means to much to me, so when I look at the watch, in my mind I see my Fathers face with the proud look admiring his watch.Rolex watches are not always about £££$$$$$$ but something to enjoy and wear hopefully for a very very long life, this is what owning a Rolex watch should be about..

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 08:00 PM   #2
Zoran
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1655 Mark 1
Well said Peter!
Great story and a wonderful watch to remember your father by.

Unfortunately, you are right and I don't believe this will change any time soon.
It is good to know that there are still people out there that don't see it that way and can truly enjoy the piece(s) they have without worrying about resell value.

Stay safe.
Old 23 April 2020, 08:41 PM   #3
alpharulez
"TRF" Member

Watch: Assorted!
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Many years ago back in the late 1970s think it was 1979 my Father always wanted a Rolex watch so he took on two jobs and saved for just over 5 years to get his watch.Now he always wanted a Submariner so when he had saved enough money at this time just over £950,so off he went to the AD to buy his watch.And I am sure he did not go with a Lupe to examine ever minute detail of the watch.In those days you just bought a Rolex watch knowing that watch would last a life time and beyond.Back in those bygone days you bought a Rolex not to try or hope it would go up in value, but to wear hopefully in good health for the rest of your life.Now when my Father got to the AD they showed him the sub,but tried to sell him a 6263 Daytona instead, in those days they were very very poor sellers.And they even offered him a discount of £25 of the price,now the Daytona was almost a £100 retail cheaper than the sub so with the discount plus the cheaper price he bought the Daytona 6263.Now with the money saved he bought my mother a new washing machine,now sadly my Father did not live a lifetime to enjoy his Rolex he died at the age of just 56.Now IMHO WW11 Dad was in the navy on aircraft carriers dad lied about his age he was just 17 plus returning from war back to working in the coal mines shortened his life I am sure.The Daytona now belongs to me but in my life time I would never sell it at any price. It just means to much to me, so when I look at the watch, in my mind I see my Fathers face with the proud look admiring his watch.Rolex watches are not always about £££$$$$$$ but something to enjoy and wear hopefully for a very very long life, this is what owning a Rolex watch should be about..

That is a lovely watch with memories attached to it. Hopefully an asset you can pass down through generations!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alpharulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 08:45 PM   #4
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Great story and that watch design is very clean, not like the current mish mash of fonts and colors
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 08:46 PM   #5
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I love hearing stories like this Peter.

Your dad sounds like he was a salt of the earth fellow, from what some would call the greatest generation. I’m sure if he looked down on today’s world of Rolex he’d just shake his head.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 08:58 PM   #6
solesman
"TRF" Member

That was a great read Peter. Thanks for sharing that with us. I'm really enjoying it on TRF now.
solesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 09:05 PM   #7
webble1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Great that you have something from your father that he himself was passionate enough to save up for so long.
Sometimes a physical item brings back as many memories as a photo.

Do you wear it much?
webble1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 09:05 PM   #8
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Growing up my parents never considered a Rolex a possibility as it was for the super-rich etc and they had other priorities like getting us through school, so then years later when I finally bought one my parents were pretty surprised/impressed but they knew they were largely responsible for my path to getting there, but then lately when I've been telling them that they are selling for large profits so any Tom or Dick with a credit card can buy one now and flip it, they have been flabbergasted by the complete change in perception of a Rolex watch.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 09:09 PM   #9
icnbne
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Omega Seiko
Thats a stunning watch, and also a reflection of what was and what is
icnbne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 09:12 PM   #10
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
Nicely put.
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 09:14 PM   #11
Explorer2polar
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR , Sub C, Exp
Great story and lesson to us all.
Explorer2polar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 09:39 PM   #12
roadie1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Divers, GMT
Great story thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
roadie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 09:41 PM   #13
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Rolex bygone years a Bit Different to Todays Rolex mainly about ££££$$$$$$.

Called the greatest generation for a reason. My Dad, also a WW II veteran visited me in the Middle East where I was working in 1971. We visited an Arab shuuk (market) and we bought two Tissot watches. He’s gone now and I wouldn’t trade his Tissot from that day for gold!

Old 23 April 2020, 09:45 PM   #14
rootbeer7
2024 Pledge Member

Great story and what a watch. Hopefully after the pandemic (and the inevitable 'how much money am I going to lose' posts), perhaps we might return to great discussions about these incredible watches. We can live in hope.
Old 23 April 2020, 09:46 PM   #15
jburson250
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Peter, thank you for sharing the wonderful story of your Dad's Daytona.

Explorer 214270.
Sea-Dweller 126600.
Sea-Dweller Deepsea 126660 Black.
Submariner 5512.
PAM 514 Radiomir 1940.
Railmaster XXL 2806.52.37.
Speedmaster Moonphase 304.33.44.52.01.001.
RIP JJ
jburson250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 09:50 PM   #16
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
What an amazing story and an amazing watch indeed. Thanks for sharing Your wonderful story Peter. That’s exactly what a Rolex is really all about. I too will be gifting my Submariner one day to my son.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 09:52 PM   #17
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
A great story and a very nice watch. Thank you for sharing.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 09:55 PM   #18
Redbox
"TRF" Member

Wonderful story about your father's watch, Peter. You know he would be happy and proud that you love it as much as he did.

I am 73 and can relate to these memories.
Redbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 09:56 PM   #19
Tomo_leeds
"TRF" Member

Great story , I'm not really a Daytona fan but yours looks fantastic!
Tomo_leeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 09:57 PM   #20
Xerxes77
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post

Congratulations!
You really reminds us what mean a good watch.... not only the money value...
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 10:14 PM   #21
tufty
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ II, Exp II
Great story, what watches for me are all about...
tufty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 10:16 PM   #22
Ballzzz

Beautiful story & amazing watch!
Old 23 April 2020, 10:16 PM   #23
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Thank you Peter, a great reminder about what’s important.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 10:55 PM   #24
alphasports
"TRF" Member

Thanks for this. That's maybe the nicest Daytona I've seen, beautiful.
alphasports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 10:59 PM   #25
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Fantastic story about what watches can be about and the meaning they can take on. Your father was one of the greatest generation that built this country.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 11:02 PM   #26
LJubel328
"TRF" Member

This is exactly what got me in to watches, stories like this. There is something inherently beautiful about knowing, or guessing, the history of the watch you wear.

I hope you never part with the 6263. It is beautiful and wear it in good health. My father is not a watch person, but I have been telling him to purchase one recently. I, too, would like to look down at my wrist and be reminded of my father someday.

Thank you for sharing.
LJubel328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 11:09 PM   #27
james_turk
"TRF" Member

Thoughtful story, great sentiment, great watch. Thank you.
james_turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 11:11 PM   #28
Cru Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_turk View Post
Thoughtful story, great sentiment, great watch. Thank you.
x2.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 11:48 PM   #29
bulldawg
"TRF" Member

Great story. Exactly what watches are meant to be about.
bulldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 11:54 PM   #30
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
Great story I enjoyed reading it. I hope I can pass it down to my son too.

htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
consumerism , luxury goods