The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 31 October 2023, 05:19 AM   #1
Daft_Hunk
"TRF" Member

2022 Submariner serviced 4 times by Rolex in the past six months, comes back worse

Hi all,

Around six months ago I posted here for advice after I noticed a something stuck under the date window of my submariner. I wouldn't be so bothered had it not been smack bang in the middle of the date window and the magnification making it so obvious. You all suggested I send it in under warranty which I happily did. I asked my AD if I was being pedantic, but they affirmed that being a sub, it was incredibly unlikely that something had somehow worked it's way into the case. This was likely something that had happened during production and was definitely worth sending in.

Rolex actually took the issue more seriously than I expected. They requested it for full servicing rather than simply have the in house watch maker do a repair as they wanted to inspect the movement to make sure that the issue wasn't a symptom of something more significant.

The watch arrived back around six weeks later and I immediately noticed that the crown felt "heavy" when trying to wind. I didn't really think anything of it as it had obviously been serviced and passed quality inspection, I thought maybe they'd been overzealous with the amount of oil or something like that, but that's fine. I had it on my wrist less than two weeks when the date wheel became stuck at midnight. It immediately righted itself when I pulled out the crown but the watch felt "crunchy" when trying to wind and I realised that the date wheel was actually stuck and could not be changed with the crown.

I took it back to my AD who was flustered to say the least, they said they'd never once seen issue with a watch after servicing and I can believe them. It was sent back as a priority case and was back with me no more than two weeks later. I'm not sure if this service was rushed, or it really was handled as a priority, but the watch came back feeling even worse. The movement now crackled when wound and lo and behold, no less than a week later, the date wheel failed again.

So back it goes. This was a month ago and I got the call yesterday that it was ready to collect. The first thing I did was to try to wind the movement, lo and behold it's worse still and now feels like the movement is just grinding against itself. My AD wouldn't even let me leave with the watch, even before I stated my opinion they said that this was in no way acceptable and needed to be sent back.

Frustratingly, Rolex doesn't disclose anything about their servicing so we have no clue as to what the actual issue is. In fact, they refuse to give any detail at all. My AD has raised this as a complaint but I feel like I'm forever going to be plagued by this issue and really think it's time Rolex replace the watch. Could I please have some advice on what to do next? Has anyone ever had a similar situation?

TL;DR: Sent off for servicing, remove something stuck under the date window. Date wheel stuck after servicing and movement crunchy. Sent off twice more, get's worse each time. What to do.
Daft_Hunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2023, 05:26 AM   #2
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Horrible QC, nobody checked it before sending it back? Unless under warranty, there are too many good independents for me to send anything to RSC.
Old 31 October 2023, 05:27 AM   #3
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
never heard of this. did the AD send the watch to RSC all 4 times? maybe it's time to ask the AD for a new watch
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2023, 05:28 AM   #4
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
did they charge you for the full service?
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2023, 05:29 AM   #5
Daft_Hunk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldofoyster View Post
did they charge you for the full service?
Still fully under warranty fortunately
Old 31 October 2023, 05:30 AM   #6
Daft_Hunk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldofoyster View Post
never heard of this. did the AD send the watch to RSC all 4 times? maybe it's time to ask the AD for a new watch
They did indeed, I have the service receipt for each repair
Old 31 October 2023, 05:33 AM   #7
the_Hunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
OP did you recently post this on redit? I was reading your posting and swore I had just read about this situation...
Old 31 October 2023, 05:34 AM   #8
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Doesn’t sound good and you should definitely expect better
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2023, 05:39 AM   #9
Daft_Hunk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_Hunter View Post
OP did you recently post this on redit? I was reading your posting and swore I had just read about this situation...
Yes that's indeed me. Matching username. Realistically hoping to find similar situations.
Old 31 October 2023, 05:39 AM   #10
slide13
"TRF" Member

Wow, that's really unfortunate, I'm sorry.

I'd be pushing for a replacement too, though not sure if you'll have any luck there. Seems so weird they keep sending it back worse. The 32XX doesn't feel as smooth as the 31XX but it doesn't feel bad I don't think. Seems like something that should be easily fixable by replacing any necessary parts so puzzling why they keep sending it back feeling bad.
slide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2023, 06:13 AM   #11
MrMercedes
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many!
I wouldn't do anything and just rely on Rolex to get it done. It'll be fine. This is annoying, but ultimately the entire movement has to be taken apart and reassembled again. And you also have the AD on your side, it's an unpleasant situation for him too. Maybe now you can get a Daytona or BLRO quicker?!
MrMercedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2023, 06:29 AM   #12
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Quote:
Originally Posted by East of Eden View Post
Horrible QC, nobody checked it before sending it back? .
Apparently no one even checked it before it left the factory to the AD. It's good to have warranty and all. But I preferer a watch to be pretty much trouble free when I get it the first time.

Cant imagine sending one in "After" the warranty is expired and having to go threw all this. At this rate RSC will have it longer than you during your 2 year service warranty. Where is the quality control, The superlative attention to detail.

Of course this is given as the allegations' are as stated. Definity not on par with the quality there advertising.
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2023, 06:30 AM   #13
LndLord
"TRF" Member

this is interesting but has happened in the past
LndLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2023, 06:49 AM   #14
blam3344
"TRF" Member

This is only a single incident, and it happens. Watch is a complicate mechanical device. Parts defects and failure happens all the time. Trust RSC and they will be able to resolve it for sure, and no big deal. But I could certainly feel your frustrations as well. Be happy for your watch.
blam3344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2023, 09:24 AM   #15
Steerpike999
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Around 25 years ago I had purchased a brand new Omega Seamaster Chrono and it had to go back 4 times due to very poor timekeeping (minutes out per day) within the first month. When I went to pick it up the 4th time, the watch Repair center manager personally met me and explained that my watch was basically a "Lemon" and that he had ordered and received a new watch (same model etc) which he gave me. No problems after that.

At some point Rolex need to cut their loses with the customer and replace the watch with a new one. Whatever the problem with this watch is their problem and not the customers.
Steerpike999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2023, 10:39 AM   #16
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Hopefully this next attempt fixes it. If it is not resolved with this most recent ongoing service, I think it is reasonable to request the watch be replaced at this point on the grounds of it being lemon. How good Rolex is about replacing outright following multiple failed repair attempts is unclear, but there may be consumer protection laws in the UK that you could lean on.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2023, 11:28 AM   #17
snyde
"TRF" Member

If Rolex doesn’t give you any details, how do you know they’re doing any work on it at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
snyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2023, 11:28 AM   #18
Fahoo Forays
Banned

Watch: 16264
Quote:
Originally Posted by blam3344 View Post
This is only a single incident, and it happens. Watch is a complicate mechanical device. Parts defects and failure happens all the time. Trust RSC and they will be able to resolve it for sure, and no big deal. But I could certainly feel your frustrations as well. Be happy for your watch.
It may be a single incident, but he's the one it's happening to. It's been back four times with no resolution. That's a big deal. There's no reason to believe Rolex will be able to resolve it unless they replace the watch. YMMV, MMMV, but there's no reason for the OP to trust Rolex at this point.

I imagine it's tough to be happy for or with a watch that's been to the RSC four times in six months.
Fahoo Forays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2023, 11:57 AM   #19
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

I would ask your AD to try and get a brand new watch after this much headache. A good AD will go to bat for you either through Rolex or through their own store. They can always resell yours as pre-owned once they are convinced the service issues have been fully rectified.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2023, 12:05 PM   #20
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Most unfortunate to hear, but hey, look on the bright side. At least it’s not running slow.
Easy E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2023, 12:37 PM   #21
Radbloke
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steerpike999 View Post
Around 25 years ago I had purchased a brand new Omega Seamaster Chrono and it had to go back 4 times due to very poor timekeeping (minutes out per day) within the first month. When I went to pick it up the 4th time, the watch Repair center manager personally met me and explained that my watch was basically a "Lemon" and that he had ordered and received a new watch (same model etc) which he gave me. No problems after that.

At some point Rolex need to cut their loses with the customer and replace the watch with a new one. Whatever the problem with this watch is their problem and not the customers.
This is true with anything mechanical. When I was doing my mechanics apprenticeship with BMW we had a nice customer with a then-current Z3 M roadster. The thing was an absolute dog of a car. Ran rough, electrical problems, etc. After about 12 months of it basically living in our workshop BMW Australia (and head office in Germany) finally gave up and replaced it with a brand new car. It was categorically a 'lemon.'

I feel like maybe Rolex HQ needs to come to the party here. What's a new Sub worth to them, $350? Probably a lot less than another unhappy customer.
Radbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2023, 10:13 PM   #22
Casey VP-26
"TRF" Member

There should be a Lemon Law for watches.
Casey VP-26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2023, 10:34 PM   #23
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I'm not 100% current on UK consumer law, but I seem to remember that if you have given them three opportunities to fix it and they have failed to do so, you are entitled to a refund or a replacement. If this is the case there is no need for negotiation. It's a straight legal requirement. Google will tell you.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2023, 10:50 PM   #24
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Sorry this has happened and you are going through this. I would call and set up an appointment with the manager of the AD and have a respectful conversation about a replacement watch. I would bring my box and paperwork with me. If they agree you may get a watch on the spot. Enough is enough and this should not be a big deal to the AD as they will be able to sell your watch as pre-owned for more than they did retail. I would not try to get a new watch through Rolex, as you are adding another layer of decision making and possible rejection. Ask the AD to make it right and just see where it goes. Keep us posted.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2023, 10:51 PM   #25
wgdaytona
2024 Pledge Member

This stinks, but it's still under warranty so you have to be patient and hope your AD and Rolex make it right. I expect they will. In my other hobby, which is also expensive objects, this has happened to me. QC isn't what it used to be. Just hang in there and work the problem, you should be ok in the end. Still a great watch!
wgdaytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2023, 12:02 AM   #26
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft_Hunk View Post
They did indeed, I have the service receipt for each repair
Can you post pictures of your service repair receipts..

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2023, 12:31 AM   #27
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
Most unfortunate to hear, but hey, look on the bright side. At least it’s not running slow.
Right? I'd take stuck date wheels and crunchy winding over a slow watch any day. (Not to mention hair under the crystal, that would be ok too)
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2023, 03:50 AM   #28
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
.....yet.

Old 1 November 2023, 04:04 AM   #29
saxo3
"TRF" Member

2022 Submariner serviced 4 times by Rolex in the past six months, comes back worse

Quote:
At least it’s not running slow.
That will follow soon …

Sorry to hear OP, where was your watch 'serviced'?
saxo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2023, 04:28 AM   #30
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
After the second failure I would have said goodbye to the watch and changed it for a nos 11 series