The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 April 2019, 03:33 PM   #1
Notsoprobro
"TRF" Member

GMT Master II Oyster Clasp Concern

Sorry if this shows up twice, I submitted my thread a few minutes ago but didn't see it after.

I noticed something weird today while inspecting my new (to me) GMT Master II. Upon inspection of the clasp it would appear it is poorly welded to the bracelet. I tried to do some research but was unable to find any pictures that showed the bracelet. So I was hoping someone could provide a photo like mine to show that either I need to get in contact with the seller about the watch, or that I'm just crazy.

I do have an appointment with my local AD tomorrow to discuss some other things not fully disclosed by the seller (whom promptly compensated me for those issues, albeit not fully.) However if this is another issue, it might set it over the edge for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Clasp.jpeg (63.8 KB, 897 views)
Notsoprobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 03:42 PM   #2
JohnH86
"TRF" Member

Hey,

I’ve just had a look at my 116710LN and there is no weld. I’ve tried to attach a pic but it was difficult to capture it with an iPhone. If I can get a better photo I will update my post.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JohnH86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 03:51 PM   #3
T.Mas
"TRF" Member

I am sorry to say, but that does not look right. No way Rolex produced it like that. Can we see more pictures of the entire watch, and clasp?
T.Mas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 03:52 PM   #4
Notsoprobro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnH86 View Post
Hey,

I’ve just had a look at my 116710LN and there is no weld. I’ve tried to attach a pic but it was difficult to capture it with an iPhone. If I can get a better photo I will update my post.

Cheers.

Ugh, this is what I was worried about. I have a Z serial 116713 if that makes a difference at all..
Old 20 April 2019, 03:54 PM   #5
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
The OEM parts are cold welded I believe. This means that the build up you see on your clasp indicates the parts were traditionally welded, after manufacture and, not by Rolex.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 03:55 PM   #6
Crown & Shield
"TRF" Member

That's not how it should look, it seems as if it was soldered. So it has either been fixed -poorly-, or it is fake. What does it look like from underneath?
Crown & Shield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 04:01 PM   #7
Notsoprobro
"TRF" Member

Here you go, let me know if I can provide anything else.

Too delve further, there is a crack in the ceramic insert that wasn't disclosed.
The Crown has been over polished.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2512.jpg (96.2 KB, 845 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2513.jpg (109.1 KB, 834 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2514.jpg (90.1 KB, 844 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2515.jpg (83.1 KB, 834 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2516.jpg (87.9 KB, 837 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2517.jpg (76.0 KB, 833 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2518.jpg (70.5 KB, 836 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2519.jpg (58.7 KB, 836 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2520.jpg (88.2 KB, 834 views)
Old 20 April 2019, 04:29 PM   #8
sesmic
"TRF" Member

I had the same issue with my clasp last year. The clasp just came off one day when I was taking off my watch.

Initiallyi I brought it back to Rolex service centre for them to look at it and they tried to rip me off by telling me that I had to change the whole bracelet for an exorbitant price. After consulting a second opinion and looking up the web, I found the GmT2 had batches that suffer weld failure maybe due to contamination.

After arming mysel with the info, I went back to the service centre again to nicely explain the matter to them. Their attitude was condescending and nonchalant. They even scoffed that I shouldn’t believe what I read on the internet. The customer service rep even chided me saying that it was her first time seeing something like that.

They eventually got their service manager to contact me and placate me that they now can change only the clasp and they would give me a discount on it. I again explained to them that it was a weld failure that is caused during production. I asked them to justify why I should bear the cost of the replacement. I was adamant that they get in touch with Rolex headquarters instead. Again the service manager was reluctant to do that saying telling me that it would be futile and that I would eventually be bearing the cost of the replacement.

After standing firm and insisting that they contact Rolex to clarify on the matter, the service manager did. After one month;Lo and behold, I got a clasp replacement from Rolex. No apologies from them. In fact they even gave me the feeling that I should be grateful.

The whole episode left a bad taste. The service centre was extreme unprofessional and unethical. They probably make more money from selling me a bracelet than doing what’s right. This is in Singapore.
sesmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 04:33 PM   #9
sesmic
"TRF" Member

There’s a thread in here Google Rolex weld failure
Old 20 April 2019, 04:35 PM   #10
Crown & Shield
"TRF" Member

Try from this angle to see how the weld is on the other side, please (with better lighting than my poor picture, just took it to show you the part I am interested in).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5883.JPG (170.1 KB, 806 views)
Old 20 April 2019, 04:40 PM   #11
Notsoprobro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown & Shield View Post
Try from this angle to see how the weld is on the other side, please (with better lighting than my poor picture, just took it to show you the part I am interested in).
Here you go, its slightly visible from the other side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image1 (2).jpeg (45.4 KB, 803 views)
Old 20 April 2019, 04:41 PM   #12
Notsoprobro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesmic View Post
There’s a thread in here Google Rolex weld failure
I'm reading now, this makes sense as I have an early watch (Z serial).. but still not sure how to feel.
Old 20 April 2019, 04:44 PM   #13
Crown & Shield
"TRF" Member

Thanks, definitely not how it should be. Together with the other two issues you pointed out (cracked insert and over-polished crown) it gives you ample reasons to request a refund.
Old 20 April 2019, 04:53 PM   #14
Notsoprobro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks, definitely not how it should be. Together with the other two issues you pointed out (cracked insert and over-polished crown) it gives you ample reasons to request a refund.
The seller refunded me the cost to have the insert replaced and partially what a crown replacement would cost. I don't plan on ever selling the watch, so the welds could be fine. I'm just disappointed that the site I purchased from apparently missed all of these issues and now its going to be my headache going forward.

If I return it I'm going to just go the AD route for a replacement but I really wanted a 116713 which is discontinued.
Old 20 April 2019, 04:54 PM   #15
sesmic
"TRF" Member

I brought mine back to Rolex service centre. And they replaced it. Albeit some drama. I posted the whole drama initially. But it has to be vetted by moderators.
Old 20 April 2019, 04:57 PM   #16
Crown & Shield
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notsoprobro View Post
The seller refunded me the cost to have the insert replaced and partially what a crown replacement would cost. I don't plan on ever selling the watch, so the welds could be fine. I'm just disappointed that the site I purchased from apparently missed all of these issues and now its going to be my headache going forward.

If I return it I'm going to just go the AD route for a replacement but I really wanted a 116713 which is discontinued.
I am sorry to hear that. Anyway, when you send that watch to Rolex for service they will probably require that part to be replaced, although I am not sure whether it will be the whole clasp or just the blade...
Old 20 April 2019, 05:01 PM   #17
Notsoprobro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I am sorry to hear that. Anyway, when you send that watch to Rolex for service they will probably require that part to be replaced, although I am not sure whether it will be the whole clasp or just the blade...
Hopefully its just the blade; I can't imagine that piece costing too much. I guess I'll add that to my list tomorrow of stuff to ask while having it checked out. Notice anything else off about it that I should bring up?
Old 20 April 2019, 05:04 PM   #18
Crown & Shield
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hopefully its just the blade; I can't imagine that piece costing too much. I guess I'll add that to my list tomorrow of stuff to ask while having it checked out. Notice anything else off about it that I should bring up?
Have the movement checked to see if it needs to be serviced.
Oh, and see if they let you keep the old insert.
Old 20 April 2019, 07:12 PM   #19
ppalasthira
Banned

Watch: SubC.5711.D500
Hope you get it sorted out.

It sure does not look normal unfortunately.

ppalasthira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 07:56 PM   #20
georgekart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Here you go, let me know if I can provide anything else.

Too delve further, there is a crack in the ceramic insert that wasn't disclosed.
The Crown has been over polished.

My 116713 has no welds.

I think your edges are not sharp anymore as well. (Added extra lighting so edges are easier to see.)

And finally, rehaut engraving looks different to mine. Now it could be lighting/cameras, or I may just be paranoid, but here is my rehaut engraving in 2 different lighting conditions. (with additional and without additional lighting)

georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 11:20 PM   #21
Minimalist
"TRF" Member

In my opinion and what I would do with a watch with this many issues would be to return it and get a full refund. They obviously hid/didn't disclose all the 'isssues' as no one in their right mind would probably buy it otherwise. Can you not return the watch and get a full refund?
Minimalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 12:07 AM   #22
Lemonvr6
"TRF" Member

OP’s watch looks over polished

I’d return it
Old 21 April 2019, 12:25 AM   #23
Cryten
"TRF" Member

That part of the clasp is resistance welded (like a spot weld) so you shouldn't see any of the weld. Yours has clearly been fillet welded, which although whoever did it did a good job (that's a small weld) it's clearly wrong.

We've had a few instances of that weld failing reported in this forum, so that's most likely what happened to yours. You can console your self with the fact that with a fillet weld the chance of a second failure are virtually zero, but it isn't pretty.
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 01:47 AM   #24
Notsoprobro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryten View Post
That part of the clasp is resistance welded (like a spot weld) so you shouldn't see any of the weld. Yours has clearly been fillet welded, which although whoever did it did a good job (that's a small weld) it's clearly wrong.

We've had a few instances of that weld failing reported in this forum, so that's most likely what happened to yours. You can console your self with the fact that with a fillet weld the chance of a second failure are virtually zero, but it isn't pretty.
Yeah; this is similar to what I’m finding online. Depending what AD says about the watch will determine my next steps going further. I’ll be heading there in about an hour or two. I almost feel that I should disclose the site that I purchased from as they as held as being pretty reputable on TRF.

They did offer a full refund when I brought up the bezel insert being cracked; or they would refund me the cost to have it replaced. Then I brought up the crown and they included a partial refund for that. I’m still under market value for what I should’ve paid but not by much. I think if my AD can source me a GMT I’ll probably go the route of returning this one if he believes I should.
Old 21 April 2019, 01:51 AM   #25
Deep18
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Got to be honest, return the watch and demand a full refund. Too many red flags here for me and the seller sounds unbelievably shady.

Keep us posted.
Deep18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 02:09 AM   #26
Crown & Shield
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah; this is similar to what I’m finding online. Depending what AD says about the watch will determine my next steps going further. I’ll be heading there in about an hour or two. I almost feel that I should disclose the site that I purchased from as they as held as being pretty reputable on TRF.

They did offer a full refund when I brought up the bezel insert being cracked; or they would refund me the cost to have it replaced. Then I brought up the crown and they included a partial refund for that. I’m still under market value for what I should’ve paid but not by much. I think if my AD can source me a GMT I’ll probably go the route of returning this one if he believes I should.
I know you said you were leaning towards keeping the watch because it has been discontinued but I would seriously consider getting a 126710CHNR instead if a two-tone GMT is what you are after. Ask the AD if he can get you one in a reasonable amount of time and in case he does, get a refund.
Old 21 April 2019, 02:20 AM   #27
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
As mentioned above, there are other threads about wed failures. Looks like an aftermarket repair.
Old 21 April 2019, 02:31 AM   #28
Turpentine
"TRF" Member

Date is also not centered in the window.....I’d get my money back and get a better example for your forever watch. If it bugs you now, it won’t go away.

All the best!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Turpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 04:07 AM   #29
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
The original poorly welded clasp has been properly repaired and will last forever now.
Old 21 April 2019, 04:10 AM   #30
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Combination of too many “issues” will make me return it. Who’s the seller OP?