The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 29 June 2014, 05:01 PM   #1
samsam
"TRF" Member

First Annual Calender

Hi guys,
I've always wanted to get an annual calendar. I think I have a Patek bug as it's the only watch I'd consider.
At this point, I'm looking at the 5139 and 5140 (not Plat.).
As I don't have a YG or RG watch I'm leaning towards the 5140 more. I'm also interested in 5940J, but couldn't find the MRSP and was wondering if it's the same because they use the same 240Q movement.

Also, as an inexperienced PP person, I'm really looking to hear from you guys on your personal experience/opinions on these models. I'm open to alternatives in the same price range (although I'm not sure my AD would have it).

P.S. Please spare me the "try it on" talk.
samsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2014, 05:04 PM   #2
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Try them on Sam.

Then have a closer look at this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Patek-Philippe-5140R-011-thumb-660x440-22907.jpg (43.7 KB, 660 views)

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2014, 05:14 PM   #3
samsam
"TRF" Member

First Annual Calender

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Try them on Sam.

It's just not possible for now, my friend. My AD is in another country.. Long story!

Consider this thread as a part of my research.
Old 29 June 2014, 05:18 PM   #4
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Same here Sam.
My closest PP AD is 800 km away.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2014, 05:54 PM   #5
watch-guy.com
Banned

5940 is a perpetual calendar. Much more watch much more$$

Good luck
watch-guy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2014, 06:14 PM   #6
samsam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watch-guy.com View Post
Good luck

Thanks!
Old 29 June 2014, 06:57 PM   #7
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Sam: This is by far the prettiest and most elegant watch I have ever owned and I have owned and do own some nice ones. The MSRP is $91,600. There are not many around and nor do they make many which to me is a very good thing. It is elegant and classy and the cream dial is gorgeous on the YG case. I highly recommend it if you can find one! Cheers,

* Of course you do know Perpetual Calendars are much more expensive than Annual Calendars but since you asked I posted. I also would recommend only to buy this from an AD which I do anyway with every single Patek I purchase(not that you will even find a used one with a grey dealer as I haven't seen one).

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2014, 12:54 AM   #8
Time Exposure
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5980/1A
What do they look like? Or do I need to leave my app, go to Google, search the references, and come back to the app to express an opinion?
Never mind...
I'll say 5139 because I don't like the number 4 and prefer even numbers.
There! An answer as helpful as a question without pictures! Saves me a trip to Safari...
Time Exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2014, 01:24 AM   #9
samsam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Exposure View Post
What do they look like? Or do I need to leave my app, go to Google, search the references, and come back to the app to express an opinion?
Never mind...
I'll say 5139 because I don't like the number 4 and prefer even numbers.
There! An answer as helpful as a question without pictures! Saves me a trip to Safari...

You didn't have to comment if you don't know what I'm asking, you know.

I just assumed that people who are familiar with Patek in the Patek sub forum would know a watch by it reference number, just like I do with any Rolex and most Omegas.

Just to be nice, here is a pic for the 5140J

Ken, our great mod, has posted a pic of his very nice 5940.

Old 30 June 2014, 01:31 AM   #10
samsam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan65 View Post
Sam: This is by far the prettiest and most elegant watch I have ever owned and I have owned and do own some nice ones. The MSRP is $91,600. There are not many around and nor do they make many which to me is a very good thing. It is elegant and classy and the cream dial is gorgeous on the YG case. I highly recommend it if you can find one! Cheers,

* Of course you do know Perpetual Calendars are much more expensive than Annual Calendars but since you asked I posted. I also would recommend only to buy this from an AD which I do anyway with every single Patek I purchase(not that you will even find a used one with a grey dealer as I haven't seen one).

Thanks, Ken. I've been following your pics on IG and I have to say that have been an influence
If the MRSP is the same as the 5140 (now I know it is), I don't see why not I couldn't consider it. I have an AD that owes me a favor, let's see if he can help.

The thing I'm learning now with some Patek watches is that some buys have to be blind (when the price is right) and I'm not sure how I feel about that. Have you ever had to do a blind purchase? I mean without having to try the watch on your wrist?

Old 30 June 2014, 01:34 AM   #11
Time Exposure
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5980/1A
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSam View Post
You didn't have to comment if you don't know what I'm asking, you know.

I just assumed that people who are familiar with Patek in the Patek sub forum would know a watch by it reference number, just like I do with any Rolex and most Omegas.

Just to be nice, here is a pic for the 5140J

Ken, our great mod, has posted a pic of his very nice 5940.

Ah, I'm just cranky when I can't play in my favorite play yard...I just wanna be one of the cool kids.
Now that I see the 5140, and since I looked up the other reference, I prefer the 5140 in terms of style (if that counts). From a user perspective I'll leave that to the cool kids.
Thanks for the picture!
Time Exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2014, 02:08 AM   #12
HL65

Quote:
Thanks, Ken. I've been following your pics on IG and I have to say that have been an influence
If the MRSP is the same as the 5140 (now I know it is), I don't see why not I couldn't consider it. I have an AD that owes me a favor, let's see if he can help.

The thing I'm learning now with some Patek watches is that some buys have to be blind (when the price is right) and I'm not sure how I feel about that. Have you ever had to do a blind purchase? I mean without having to try the watch on your wrist?

Most I have tried on with exception of the 5711 1A as that I bought blind. One look at this and it was over for me. I tried the 5140 but for me there was absolutely no comparison. Breguet numbers vs. stick, classic/elegant & Art Deco like tonneau case vs usual round, and no smaller 5 and 27! Also there are so few 5940's around and plenty of 5140's out there. I think this will be a far rarer and more sought after piece many years to come.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 30 June 2014, 03:02 AM   #13
DECR
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP,AL&S,AP,Rolex
My vote goes to Kens watch. Not sure the reference. Good luck!
DECR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2014, 03:04 AM   #14
DECR
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP,AL&S,AP,Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by DECR View Post
My vote goes to Kens watch. Not sure the reference. Good luck!
Now I know. 5940J it is.
DECR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2014, 04:22 AM   #15
Soly20
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
As far as annual calendars I like both the 5960R and the 5205R. I am not sure if you have considered them but maybe you should.
Soly20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2014, 04:30 AM   #16
samsam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soly20 View Post
As far as annual calendars I like both the 5960R and the 5205R. I am not sure if you have considered them but maybe you should.

Thanks Soly. As I stared, I'm new in this arena. I'll look more at these references.
Old 30 June 2014, 04:45 AM   #17
KINGROLESAR
"TRF" Member

Watch: CROWN MARKED
Quote:
Hi guys,
I've always wanted to get an annual calendar. I think I have a Patek bug as it's the only watch I'd consider.
At this point, I'm looking at the 5139 and 5140 (not Plat.).
As I don't have a YG or RG watch I'm leaning towards the 5140 more. I'm also interested in 5940J, but couldn't find the MRSP and was wondering if it's the same because they use the same 240Q movement.

Also, as an inexperienced PP person, I'm really looking to hear from you guys on your personal experience/opinions on these models. I'm open to alternatives in the same price range (although I'm not sure my AD would have it).

P.S. Please spare me the "try it on" talk.
I'm sure I don't know but what I do know is that whatever you choose will be impeccable and then will be impeccably paired with impeccable clothing.
Old 30 June 2014, 07:43 AM   #18
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
For an AC, 5205 for me too.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2014, 09:53 AM   #19
HL65

By the way Sam for an Annual Calendar for me this is it:Patek 5960P black dial--Made for a very short time and very few around! My personal favorite by a country mile...Cheers,

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 30 June 2014, 10:15 AM   #20
samsam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
By the way Sam for an Annual Calendar for me this is it:Patek 5960P black dial--Made for a very short time and very few around! My personal favorite by a country mile...Cheers,

Ken, that's a real beauty. I definitely added the 5960 to my list.
I hope when I visit the AD they'll have a big collection for me try on (doubtful) hehe..
Old 30 June 2014, 10:16 AM   #21
samsam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGROLESAR View Post
I'm sure I don't know but what I do know is that whatever you choose will be impeccable and then will be impeccably paired with impeccable clothing.

Thanks, Sam.. I try!
Old 30 June 2014, 10:18 AM   #22
HL65

Quote:
Ken, that's a real beauty. I definitely added the 5960 to my list.
I hope when I visit the AD they'll have a big collection for me try on (doubtful) hehe..
This one will be very hard to find as so few were made and for such a short time. It is the one to get though if you were able to find one. Only problem is price is even a bit more than the 5940J or 5140. Happy hunting...Cheers,

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 30 June 2014, 10:20 AM   #23
samsam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This one will be very hard to find as so few were made and for such a short time. It is the one to get though if you were able to find one. Only problem is price is even a bit more than the 5940J or 5140. Happy hunting...Cheers,

That I'm aware of, but since I'm only considering it's RG or YG sisters, so it should be a little easier I'm assuming.
Old 30 June 2014, 10:49 AM   #24
lipjin
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC, Nautilus

My two AC picks. Classic vs sporty!

"It is not our abilities that show what we truly are. It is our choices" -Dumbledore

Instagram: horolj_
lipjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2014, 11:25 AM   #25
samsam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipjin View Post

My two AC picks. Classic vs sporty!

Very beautiful. Definitely in my "to consider" list.
Old 30 June 2014, 01:12 PM   #26
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
The 5205 in RG is beautiful in terms of AC to my eye. I think benlee has one...look up his thread!

Of course if the budget permits, the 5940 is another level of wow!
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2014, 02:00 PM   #27
MrJ320
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: @j.project
For annual calendars my two preferences are the 5205g and the 5396g/r. But that 5940 is absolutely stunning!
MrJ320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2014, 02:05 PM   #28
z32turbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Varies
Gotta go with Ken on this one. 5960 is my first choice but his 5940 makes a very strong case. Even though I haven't found the black dial I'm still thinking about pulling the trigger on the blue dial.

Instagram @z32turbo
z32turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2014, 11:35 AM   #29
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

I assume OP is fairly new to Patek watches. However Patek 5140 and 5139 are very nice perpetual calendar watches. The hobnail bezel of the 5139 makes it unique. However both watches are very thin. They may seem small for some people at a 37mm dial size. The 5940J that steelerfan shared is also a very nice perpetual calendar in a tonneau shaped case. It is slightly thicker than the 5139/5140, but also has a larger dial. The 5140 has been out for quite a long time, ~ 10 years as a rough estimate. That is why you will see many more of these watches around. In comparison the 5139 and 5940 have been around for only a few years. I know OP stated he was looking for RG or YG, but the 5940 will come out with a WG version this year as announced at Basel.

Now as for strict annual calendars, there are 5205, 5146, 5396 and 5726. There are literally dozens of threads already comparing the various ACs here in the Patek forum and many of them have quite useful info. The price of a new PP AC is going to be roughly half of a new PP perpetual calendar watch. Now others also commented on the 5960 annual calendar chronograph. All the 5960 watches in RG and Platinum have been discontinued now. But many ADs should still have some unsold old stock. The 5960P will price in a similar range to a perpetual 5140 in RG/YG. I am not a fan of the thickness of the 5960 (probably in the 14mm thickness range), but you really have to try it on before deciding on this one though.

Whichever watch reference you decide to get, enjoy the watch and post some wrist photos once you get it!
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2014, 10:32 PM   #30
samsam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
I assume OP is fairly new to Patek watches. However Patek 5140 and 5139 are very nice perpetual calendar watches. The hobnail bezel of the 5139 makes it unique. However both watches are very thin. They may seem small for some people at a 37mm dial size. The 5940J that steelerfan shared is also a very nice perpetual calendar in a tonneau shaped case. It is slightly thicker than the 5139/5140, but also has a larger dial. The 5140 has been out for quite a long time, ~ 10 years as a rough estimate. That is why you will see many more of these watches around. In comparison the 5139 and 5940 have been around for only a few years. I know OP stated he was looking for RG or YG, but the 5940 will come out with a WG version this year as announced at Basel.

Now as for strict annual calendars, there are 5205, 5146, 5396 and 5726. There are literally dozens of threads already comparing the various ACs here in the Patek forum and many of them have quite useful info. The price of a new PP AC is going to be roughly half of a new PP perpetual calendar watch. Now others also commented on the 5960 annual calendar chronograph. All the 5960 watches in RG and Platinum have been discontinued now. But many ADs should still have some unsold old stock. The 5960P will price in a similar range to a perpetual 5140 in RG/YG. I am not a fan of the thickness of the 5960 (probably in the 14mm thickness range), but you really have to try it on before deciding on this one though.

Whichever watch reference you decide to get, enjoy the watch and post some wrist photos once you get it!

You are absolutely correct. I am very new to Patek, and have been doing a lot of reading. This is very helpful and I really appreciate it.
I am looking at a lot of pictures and learning a lot as I visit various websites. Hopefully I'll stop by an AD this weekend to look at some pieces.